[iDC] RE: An Inconvenient Youth and Second Life

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 04:35:53 EST 2007

It has been some efforts to "change" the world of gaming introducing
new elements and changing the stereotypes. The company Newsgaming.com,
started by  Gonzalo Frasca, born as me in Uruguay, made the game 12th
September, an excellent simulation where target killings and the war
against terror were featured.
http://www.newsgaming.com/games/index12.htm
And Serious Games try too to modify the market and make collaborative
games aimed to the youth, http://www.seriousgames.org/index2.html
Purple Moon, Brenda Laurel and Paul Allen's company which went
bankrupt some years ago, was also a try to make games for young girls,
to fight Barbies total dominance in the field. But the commercial
picture was bad and their games took only a token share of the market.
As far I remember the only really "collaborative" game I played was
Tale of the Desert, http://www.atitd.com/, a game based in training
skills and acquiring the old Egyptian skills and technology. The
problem with the game is the lacking of storyline, dramaturgy or
interaction with the game engine.
'By the way, Gonzalo Frascas site, Ludology.org, www.ludology.org is
an excellent place to discuss games as a meme able to transmit
cultural values.
Ana