[iDC] Cell phones in developing countries

Martin Lucas mlucas at igc.org
Thu Mar 1 12:10:11 EST 2007

Hi All,

Some 680,000,000 people live in Africa, so the cell phone penetration that Trebor writes about suggest access for some 20% of the population.  My own investigations in this area led me to projects by oneworld.net.  One of their founders, Peter Armstrong, told me that their research in Africa showed that each cell phone actually represented several users, as the phones are shared in a variety of ways, giving penetration figures in Kenya of closer to 80%.  As Trebor notes, the precarious nature of the labor market is a factor.  Oneworld.net set up one project in Nairobi, for example that was a kind of SMS job bank that allowed workers to connect with employment quickly and successfully. Significantly, oneworld works directly with local operators to design socially useful mobile platforms.

A look at the oneworld.net site turns up pieces like this:

Connectivity through mobile phones in Africa is growing at a very fast pace. According to recent studies, statistics have showed that nearly 97% of all Tanzanians say they can access a mobile phone, and what is just as interesting, as in many African countries, is how those phones are being used.
http://www.digitalopportunity.org/article/view/115856/1/

At a recent ‘Mobile Monday’ event in New York, an industry spokesperson suggested that a majority of internet access will be via mobile devices by 2008, and much of that in the ‘developing world’.  They went on to paint a picture of the mobile device of the future as a marketing tool par excellance, able to target the user locatively, able to shift campaigns on a dime, etc.

One of the things to think about in this context is how open mobile platforms are.  In the US they are pretty closed.  Some European manufacturers and operators espouse open source standards, but in an era when most people will go online via their phone, the picture looks fairly bleak, with an outlook for access much more restrictive than what is possible through a computer platform.