[iDC] Art Basel: Signs of a Broken Food Chain,2

Cynthia Rubin cbrubin at risd.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:25:28 EDT 2007

First, Frank's comments on the "economics of attention".  Very interesting - information is no longer scarce, but attention is.  Artists  - like every one else who is involved in some form of communication - need attention. The focus for attention, however, can come from investigating what truly engages an audience (and that does not have to be a universal audience), or it can come from looking for media hype.  Hopefully the "quality" artists sought by Bryant are engaging -- but nothing in the Vogel article confirms this.

If we talk about how to engage audiences rather than how to sell them, we then can look to the museum shows and alternate space exhibitions that provide a good mix of current work.  This system is not perfect, but eventually lots of interesting work does get shown, and persistent artists can have their moment.

In my earlier post, I was not addressing selling and owning as such, although it would seem so given that  I began this in a discussion of an Art Fair that is a big marketplace.  As Isable points out, artists certainly are using the internet to get work out and to find the audience that will be engaged by the work.  I think that Frank is right when he says that buyers want what everybody else wants - so some people cannot look at work themselves.  They can only do in a crowd.  This certainly makes the internet less apealling to them - how can you look from your own home?

It occurred to me that what we might need is an IKEA for the art market.  A place for reasonably good quality, that helps to give people the self-confidence to make design choices for themselves. Design in training wheels.  Perhaps something that serves the same role that radio stations had for music -- DJs select certain works, but then the buyer/listener makes choices beyond that.

Museums are clearly taking on more of this role, as they continue to show contemporary work.  And I have no idea if this is a good thing or not.  What I do know is that as long as quality is defined as worthy of investment, we will continue to miss out on some engaging work that is under some artist's bed.