[iDC] Will you delete your Feedburner account?

Burak Arikan arikan at media.mit.edu
Mon Jun 11 23:30:05 EDT 2007

I think understanding how venture capitals operate would be helpful
to this discussion.

Marc Andreessen recently started a blog and posted a series of
articles about how venture capital firms operate and how they
function in a broader sense. I didn't know that large university
endowments and philanthropic foundations are the major investors in
the venture capital cycle.

The truth about venture capitalists, Part 1
http://blog.pmarca.com/2007/06/the_truth_about.html

The truth about venture capitalists, Part 2
http://blog.pmarca.com/2007/06/the_truth_about_1.html

The truth about venture capitalists, Part 3
http://blog.pmarca.com/2007/06/the_truth_about_2.html

I also added my comment to the last article. I post it here again
because i wrote the comment with the motivation i got from the recent
IDC discussions we have here.

- - -

These three posts are mind opening in many dimensions. In this broad
spectrum of relationships I am wondering about the connection between
the users of social web 2.0 services and the venture capitalists who
help these companies grow.

We recently see more web 2.0 startups backed with venture capitals.
These social web 2.0 companies' profit is driven by users' immaterial
labor, from aggregated social connections to uploading videos. Users
invest time and attention without getting paid. They get free and
"improved" services. How much the service is improved (aka
incorporating the collective intelligence) and what is really free
are controversial. Although the generated value is mutual, it is
solely evaluated by the service provider. For example, Facebook wants
to know how am I connected to my friend, so that this can be a value
for marketing operations. What the service provider earns from these
connections is never open to users who are aggressively asked to be
open (share) in such systems.

The startup company exits, the aggregated user data change hands[*],
and venture capitals make profit. So on the one hand venture capitals
and their limited partners invest in this process of exploiting
people's immaterial labor, on the other hand, as these three posts
say, venture capitals help companies develop technologies for the
society. I find this paradoxical. I wonder what you think?

- - -

burak