[iDC] Will you delete your Feedburner account?

Burak Arikan arikan at media.mit.edu
Sun Jun 10 13:05:26 EDT 2007

Hi Emre,

I agree that data exchange standards like RSS, ATOM, and OPML support
and afford sharing. I see them as the containers of techno-
commodities. I even authored an experimental container back in 2004,
ActiviXML, to abstract the information flow particularly between
social activist communities.
http://plw.media.mit.edu/people/arikan/2004/activixml/

What is not shared is the interaction among people and systems. For
example, my Google search queries and my actions on the search result
pages are stored but not shared with me. Google aggregates this type
of information from everybody, incorporates the collected data in
search algorithms, and as a result "improves" its services for
"everyone".  The web 2.0 people celebrate this phenomenon as
collective intelligence without looking at its critical relation to
capital.

As Geert Lovnik mentioned in his previous post, users of these
platforms invest time. They also invest attention, which can not
really measured by users but aggregated by the service providers.
Attention data is not shared.

Do you know any standards for attention data exchange?

burak