[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu Dec 27 13:11:05 UTC 2007

I wanted to contribute a quick followup on the OLPC thread from a few
months ago.

There are some success stories out about the OLPC (one referenced here):
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/24/196240

My take home point from the article and the comments in the section
"Having visited Arahuay in October" (from a beta test period) indicates
the importance of the camera and the video capabilities of the OLPC as
the 'killer app' - the OLPC will usher in YouTube-literacy I guess. Not
a bad idea either, with state-run TV stations being predominant in many
of the OLPCs target regions [... unverified statement ...].

The timing for these feel-good articles are right on the mark as well...
I actually did order my G1G1 on Christmas day after finding out that the
promo was still running (until end of the year). Too bad they don't tell
you where the donated device finally ends up - I would love to send an
email ... oops video-clip, to the kid who will get the donated one.

One more thing I would like to point out which I find highly interesting
is the "Sneakernet" developments documented on their wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sneakernet ... I wonder if this is just some
retro idea from the'technophiles retro' or actually practically usable.
The cost is certainly in line at $3 per school and it has an interesting
GNU precursor in the "Information without Borders" project.

--AS