[iDC] The right questions for creative collectives

Abdul-Rahman Advany abdulrahman at advany.com
Wed Dec 26 21:21:46 UTC 2007

Well, you don't always need a "project" that is designed for collective
participation or producting a collective benefit. You just need to believe
in people, like to help them, and trust that you will get something in
return (if its money or something else like access/information). An couple
of examples, recently I helped someone figuring out some problems with her
Mac, I didn't ask any money, didn't even expect anything in return, but I
know if I need something she will try to help me (but I don't expect it, she
might not want to help me).

Its not always a community of good Samaritans, I am selfish, I do expect
that other people will help me (with contacts/information), and in the end
we will generate some commercial value. If you have contacts, have the right
information, and a stream of good ideas, why not benefit from that? I am
using that to launch some commercial projects that hopefully will generate
money. But I am not in the game to generate commercial value, but I don't
mind money being a product of my labor (so money isn't my main factor in
deciding in what things I would like to get involved in).

I think, for most people, who don't find a help giver, have a different
problem, they are not patient enough (you need to build reputation, get
known within the community) or are only in the community for their own
benefit. They want to invest the least amount of time but still want to get
the most value out of it. You may call it selfish but its more then that,
they people who are taught traditional economic, and don't understand the
value of reputation, informal communication, power of networks, social
capital, enc.

Currently I am getting ton's of opportunities because I just helped people
without considering money as a "main" factor of the equation. Are we that
arrogant that we can know before hand what will be the most fruitful
venture? Are financials really a good indicator? Why would anyone start with
something like youtube, google is still struggling to monetize it, if you
would look at the financials? If you use indicators like most MBA's do, you
limit yourself unnecessarily.

ps. fixed the help seeking stuff :) thinking about your giving seeking
arguments :)

On 12/26/07, R Labossiere <admin at klooj.net> wrote:

>  You mention "giving seeking, help giving and reflective reframing" but
> the diagram in your post says
> "help seeking" rather than "giving seeking."
>
> The idea of "giving seeking," even if inadvertent, is pretty interesting:
> it imagines a community of good samaritans who, as you note, tend to
> introduce themselves with their name and what they do, but also with a
> question like, "What can I do for you?"
>
> "Giving seeking" would typify creative collectives where individuals are
> constantly volunteering interpretations, revisions and new ideas. It would
> also be related to the gift economy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy#Examples_in_modern_culture>which we find especially in the cultural sector where incomes are
> chronically low. (e.g. Abbing<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eabbing/DOCeconomist/new_book.htm>
> )
>
> "Giving seeking" would also confirm some of my experience where "help
> seeking" didn't actually find a "help giver;" the problem perhaps being that
> the project was not, or at least not obviously, designed for collective
> participation or producing a collective benefit. Giving seekers want to see
> everyone is rowing in the same direction. Creative collectives want to focus
> on mutual giving, not getting.
>
> There is a pretty good summary of Hargadan and Bechky's article here:
> http://beyondcreativity.blogs.com/mblog/2006/12/collective_crea.html
>
> cheers,
>
> Robert Labossiere

Abdul-Rahman Advany