[iDC] Everything is Misc - extracts and intro

Astrid Mager astrid.mager at univie.ac.at
Wed Aug 1 11:41:59 UTC 2007

Dear IDC list members, dear David Weinberger,

I just followed the discussion on the book "Everything is Miscellaneous"
and find it most interesting as it nicely fits to the work I’m doing for
my PhD, however being much more rooted in empiricism. Before sharing my
thoughts, let me say a few words about myself (as newcomer on the list).
My name is Astrid Mager and I’m currently working as a research
collaborator and lecturer at the Department of Social Studies of Science
in Vienna. Concretely, I’m collaborating in a project called “Virtually
Informed – The Internet in the Medical Field”. Closely related to this
project, I’m writing my PhD on the way the virtual space of health
information is structured considering both providers’ link and users’
search strategies. Drawing together multiple data sources such as
Issuecrawler maps developing hyperlink networks, video files of surfers'
Web searches, log files and qualitative interviews with both providers
and surfers of health-related information, I argue that “the Internet”
must not be understood as having a fixed (information) structure, but
rather gets differently performed and structured in practices, very
briefly said. I’ll further elaborate in which ways these practices
relate to particular conceptualizations of “the Internet” and its
“actors” - such as Web sites, links and Google - involved (as
articulated by both providers and users). In this context, I’ve given a
presentation at the New Network Theory conference in Amsterdam.
Afterwards I was surprisingly invited to participate in this list and
that’s how I ended up here, what I really appreciate thanks to you all!

Having read the excerpts of the book I identified some interesting
connections to the empirical analysis I’ve done, which I’d like to put
up for discussion (although – also – feeling quite intimidated by the
high standards of this list):

First of all, the surfers searching for health issues online experience
“the Internet” indeed as miscellaneous or as a messy “flood of
information”, as they call it. Accordingly, they articulate a need for
adequate tools to structure the messy information in a quick and
efficient way. In the Austrian context, Google turned out to be “the”
pre-selection tool people use because it allows to structure their
search along their specific interests. Contrary to links being framed as
misleading and chaotic, Google is shaped as virtual guide through the
Web letting the users keep control over their search with the help of
keywords. Google is also seen as providing a good possibility to not
“get lost on the Web” and therefore providing an initial point to where
people can always “go back” in case of trouble. Thus, these empirical
findings completely support Weinberger’s argument that Web information
is “filtered on the way out”, however in a very different way than
regarding social software etc. In this process users may definitely be
seen as “filterers” structuring the information with the help of search
engines by choosing and combining keywords, which in turn crucially
determine the information people (don’t) get on their screen.

Providers giving their Web sites a certain order, may thus be seen as
having lost control over the way their information is structured and
used. While the providers still focus on the Web site as a whole, users
do not read the sites from the beginning to the end, but rather puzzle
their own stories by using different pieces of information from
different Web sites. Instead of following the logic of Web sites (as
imagined by the providers), people rather follow the logic of Google
directing the user to a particular sub-page corresponding to their
keyword, but seldom enclosing information about the provider. It
therefore happens that people do not realize on which Web site they
actually are as they have virtually entered it through the back door and
thus having missed the entrance plate.

As the users heavily rely on Google as pre-selection tool, Google itself
may also be seen as “filterer” or “gatekeeper” in my point of view. As
people mainly remain with the first few entries – and thus often end up
on pretty the same Web sites, as my analysis shows – Google could be
interpreted as important “actor” in the users’ surf processes giving
presence and absence to Web sites. In this sense, machines and pieces of
software may also be seen as gatekeepers helping the user to pre-select
and order the huge amounts of information surrounding us. Considering
the debates around Web 3.0, this point may get even more important in
the future as Web sites are supposed to be “read” not only by users, but
increasingly also by machines.

In this sense, I would agree with Weinberger “that the control has
changed hands” as people do not strictly follow the information
structures proposed by the providers - or "experts" - (neither within
the sites, nor between the sites when thinking of links), but rather
find their own ways through the information jungle. However, considering
my empirical findings, I would like to add, that we need to keep in mind
that new gatekeepers have entered the scene establishing new hierarchies
and information politics. And gatekeepers such as Google must not only
be understood as crucially determining what users get on their screens,
but also as effectively transforming "the Web" as providers increasingly
react on the dominat Google use by exchanging huge numbers of
(extra)links to gain a preferred position in search engine results and
thus visibility, at least in the health-related context. Google’s
omnipresence – with all its algorithm politics and consequences involved
– may thus be understood as being strengthened and stabilized by both
users’ and providers’ practices. Google could therefore be interpreted
as being at the interface of providers and users and thus exercising
control over information structures in both ways.

As I only know the excerpts of the book having circulated on the list so
far, I don't know if search engines play a role in Weinberger's
arguments at all. Nevertheless, I find the arguments quite striking in
regard to my empirical material and thus already look forward to reading
the whole book. In the meanwhile, I'm curious about all kinds of
comments, criticism, recommendations, further discussions....

Thanks & all the best from sunny Vienna,
Astrid
p.s.: sorry for responding to the thread that late...