[iDC] Second Life case studies

Peter Bihr peter.bihr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:27:14 UTC 2007

Hello Paul,

I can't promise this proves useful, but I co-wrote a summer school class
for UOC (http://www.uoc.edu/) in Barcelona. The class was (is?) being
held within Second Life and is pretty much about Second Life and virtual
worlds.

The course description is available in Spanish and Catalan only
(http://www.uoc.edu/uvv/1/mundos_virtuales_presentacion.html), but the
university agreed to let us release the English draft of the textbook
under a Creative Commons license, so it's up for non-commercial use. You
can download the file on my weblog:

http://www.thewavingcat.com/virtual-worlds-book/

As I said, it's the draft version and you'll find a few lose odds and
ends, but maybe there's some useful resources in there. Also, while we
wrote the book we've started a wiki where we collected resources and
background information. The wiki is still available here:

http://www.eu.socialtext.net/maxsenges/index.cgi?secondlife

And one last thing, my co-author and good friend Max Senges, who's just
completing his PhD at UOC could probably hook you up with the course
tutor and point you to some more good people over at UOC - although most
of the resources there might be in Spanish and/or Catalan. You can find
more about Max on his website (www.maxsenges.com).  Make sure to say "hi" from me!

Peter Bihr
www.thewavingcat.com