[iDC] THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO

Tania Goryucheva tangor2 at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 26 16:57:08 EDT 2007

I do agree with the most of critique here and would like to question
the grounding  opposition of this manifesto which troubles me a lot:
Amateurs vs. professionals. The massive prolifiration of amateur
culture in media space as a threat to the quality of overall cultural
production guarded by professional communities. It sounds almost like
a self-indulged gloomy prophecy, informed by retro-neo-marxist
ideology, though contextually disengaged. I personally see the
expansion of individual self-publishing, self-mediation and social
activities around it on the internet as a form of folk culture, a
sort of new media folklore if you like, i.e. common peoples' culture
accommodating itself within the context of the internet, - rather
than a radical shift of overall cultural paradigm. Peoples'
expression of themselves on the web is not much different from that
in off-line reality. Most of these activities are meant to be for fun
or communication as a process, for the sake of social communication
by means of which people are coming in terms with the reality around
them, engaging into situational  inter-subjective manifestations. It
does not concern itself with the production of content, messages,
values. Troubles come when "professionals" start to mythologize it
and capitalize on it. Nevertheless, I find this micro-level culture,
which is free of strategic pragmatism, not concerned with values
hierarchies, of high value in itself.
How did professional cultures occur in the first place?  Here Marxist
theory can be helpful with its analysis of the material conditions of
societies' development. Then an important question pops up:  whose
are those professional culture/s? Which group intended interests and
implicit values are manifested through those cultures? We should keep
in mind this important distinction between the peoples culture,
mostly spontaneous and all-inclusive, on the one hand, and
institutionalised politically affiliated expert cultures, driven by
social and economical pragmatism on the other, as essentially
different in their dynamics and ratios. Though I don't see a
dialectical conflict between them unless somebody starts to build up
mythological superstructures aimed at creating one.
Still the core issue is the role of media within these different
forms of cultural production. Here I think, it is important to
differentiate contexts and pragmatics of each practice situationally.
Blogging, flogging, content sharing as such is one thing, while
making e-bubbles on it is another. I am personally, as many others,
less concerned with the quality of content on Web 2.0 (whatever label
one puts on it) and more with the political and economical obstacles
undermining its true democratisation.