[iDC] Art, Lifestyle & Globalisation Questions

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 06:35:19 EDT 2007

Dear Simon:

I find your contribution of the important role of state-funded very
valuable.

However, I am surprised that from a short paragraph by Howard explaining why
some people need to work in the market economy for a living; you deduce that
he is a hardcore apologist for market only approaches. This is not the
Howard that I know; and neither is the anti-intellectualist ...

What I think he is referring too is the kind of intellectual who has lived
so long with public support; that he can no longer imagine that not
everybody gets this support; and hence is forced to use market economy means
to support his family.

Conclusion; though I believe Howard does aim to work and live from with the
U.S. context, and makes various adaptations to his social situation, that is
different from being a hardcore neoliberal apologist,

Michel Bauwens

On 4/1/07, Simon Biggs <simon at babar.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Rheingold's statement is West Coast liberalism at its worst! Furry
> Capitalism.
>
> In Europe and elsewhere we have lived for two generations within a rather
> benevolent context. If it was not for a socio-economic system where
> relatively generous arms length state support for the arts, and other
> non-industrial means of production, was default we would have seen a very
> different development in the arts and society since the mid 20th C.
>
> Post Object art, performance and most media art, much of conceptual
> art...in
> fact most of what could be described as post modern practice, would not
> have
> become the dominant forms of our time. That much of the impetus for this
> has
> come from Europe is not coincidental. Such paradigms of work are only
> possible when value is ascribed in ways not afforded by the sort of
> socio-economic model on which the US is predicated and which Howard is
> suggesting should be default not only there but globally. One could also
> argue this using the example of food production. McDonalds versus
> artisinal
> food production.
>
> I found Cecil's plaintive call for a different model both sad and
> uplifting.
> Sad that after two generations of profound social change in Europe,
> generally for the better, some of the same calls for change are made now
> as
> in the 1960's. Uplifting, as you do not hear enough of these sorts of
> calls
> anymore, perhaps because we have all become so cynical as a result of
> persistent partial failure. Perhaps we expect to much of our social
> systems?
>
> My life maps almost entirely to the social democratic model. As a young
> artist my first professional activities were made under the fledgling but
> nevertheless very beneficial wing of the Australia Council (founded 1972),
> Australia's national agency briefed to fund the arts through peer review.
> The effect the Oz Council had on the creative arts in Australia was
> profound. Within a few years we had moved from an object based private
> gallery dominated model, where a handful of collectors established taste
> and
> the careers of a handful of artists, to a situation where thousands of
> artists were producing all sorts of crazy things (and often nothing at
> all)
> and showing this work in a diversity of artist run and non-profit spaces,
> or
> simply in the street or on the beach. It was a very creative and healthy
> time and in many respects resembled the joyful situation that Cecil calls
> for.
>
> In the UK this sort of system was also in place from even earlier, with
> the
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html;
video interview, at
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm