[iDC] Art, Lifestyle & Globalisation Questions

Simon Biggs simon at babar.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 04:46:37 EDT 2007

Rheingold's statement is West Coast liberalism at its worst! Furry
Capitalism.

In Europe and elsewhere we have lived for two generations within a rather
benevolent context. If it was not for a socio-economic system where
relatively generous arms length state support for the arts, and other
non-industrial means of production, was default we would have seen a very
different development in the arts and society since the mid 20th C.

Post Object art, performance and most media art, much of conceptual art...in
fact most of what could be described as post modern practice, would not have
become the dominant forms of our time. That much of the impetus for this has
come from Europe is not coincidental. Such paradigms of work are only
possible when value is ascribed in ways not afforded by the sort of
socio-economic model on which the US is predicated and which Howard is
suggesting should be default not only there but globally. One could also
argue this using the example of food production. McDonalds versus artisinal
food production.

I found Cecil's plaintive call for a different model both sad and uplifting.
Sad that after two generations of profound social change in Europe,
generally for the better, some of the same calls for change are made now as
in the 1960's. Uplifting, as you do not hear enough of these sorts of calls
anymore, perhaps because we have all become so cynical as a result of
persistent partial failure. Perhaps we expect to much of our social systems?

My life maps almost entirely to the social democratic model. As a young
artist my first professional activities were made under the fledgling but
nevertheless very beneficial wing of the Australia Council (founded 1972),
Australia's national agency briefed to fund the arts through peer review.
The effect the Oz Council had on the creative arts in Australia was
profound. Within a few years we had moved from an object based private
gallery dominated model, where a handful of collectors established taste and
the careers of a handful of artists, to a situation where thousands of
artists were producing all sorts of crazy things (and often nothing at all)
and showing this work in a diversity of artist run and non-profit spaces, or
simply in the street or on the beach. It was a very creative and healthy
time and in many respects resembled the joyful situation that Cecil calls
for.

In the UK this sort of system was also in place from even earlier, with the
Arts Council of England as a very early example of social beneficience.
Other European countries, Canada, New Zealand and a number of unusual
suspects, had similar models in place. Even in the US, at state level, there
were similar arrangements and, for a short time, even the NEA managed to
make a decent attempt at being a national arts agency run for and by
artists.

The sort of model that Howard is promoting is based on a mean perception of
human nature, predicated on an undertsanding that people are only motivated
by their own need and where profit can only be gained at the expense of
others. This is the logic of capitalism. It is also the logic of the
criminal mind.

So, I read Cecil and the innocent idealism makes me cringe; but I read
Howard and I get angry because what he espouses is the same ethic that
amoral corporations are trying to export to the world under the moniker of
Globalism. An ethic that has brought us to such a bad place in world history
and now threatens the social compacts and contracts that have underpinned
the relatively enlightened social models of a number of countries since the
Second World War.

Rheingold articulates an anti-intellectualism that compounds his sins.
Anti-intellectualism is of course a common symptom on the right of politics.
I find this interesting as in this Howard is denying his own roots.

Regards

Simon