[iDC] Aram Barthol - Urban Projects

Jonah Brucker-Cohen jonah at coin-operated.com
Fri Sep 29 17:24:22 EDT 2006

Hi All - I just finished up an interview for GIzmodo with
Berlin-based media artist Aram Bartholl  who makes some interesting
urban-art, interventions which might be worth a read. Aram is one of
the Speakers at the "MediaCity" conference I posted about in my last
post to this list.

Gizmodo Gallery: Aram Bartholl Sees in FPS Mode
Interview/ Article by Jonah Brucker-Cohen

In the hyper-realist console and arcade gaming space, the closer a
game gets to emulating reality, the better chance the game has of
succeeding in an already over-crowded market place. Taking this
hybrid of realism and screen-based entertainment to an extreme is
Berlin based media artist Aram Bartholl. From his experiments of
adding a "virtual" machine gun to a pair of ordinary glasses in "1st
Person Shooter" to creating physical versions of the large blinking
arrows from the ubiquitous console game, "Need for Speed 2", Bartholl
creates work that intends to both disrupt, engage, and highlight our
pre-occupation with virtual forms and experiences. His work is both a
playful and cautious reminder of just how far technology has
infiltrated our lives and public spaces. Gizmodo caught up with
Bartholl to discuss his views on the future of gaming artifacts, the
potential impact of technological imperialism, and just how closely
our daily lives are influenced by the virtual entities we engage with
everyday.

Full Interview with Images,Video is here:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/games/gizmodo-gallery-aram-bartholl-sees-in-fps-mode-203130.php

Best,
- Jonah