[iDC] Cities, Speculation, and the Non-addressable

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 27 13:04:07 EDT 2006

franck ancel wrote:
> I think that the symposium/exhibition in Paris, 1997,
> "TransACHITECTURES02"with an introduction by Virilio is more interesting
> that this old feed back in Pompidou. And "Hybrid Space : new forms in
> digital architecture" is not sold out (cf. Peter Zellner, Thames &
> Hudson, 1999).

Well, that's interesting, I'll check it out someday.

But the Pompidou thing was exactly on the subject that seems
to be at stake here: constructing digital architecture. And
this "bande annonce" I mentioned has the advantage of
showing what some of the blob architecture looks like. The
French version of the page has a text:

www.cnac-gp.fr/Pompidou/Manifs.nsf/0/7DA19D2CC76BE776C1256D0100510408?OpenDocument&sessionM=2.10&L=1&form=

It says:
"It is not a matter, here, simply of digital architecture or
of an exhibition of "virtual" architects preoccupied mainly
with questions of representation (virtuality, hyperspace)
but of a modification in the industrialization of architecture.
The generalized use of applications based on algorithmic
systems implies transformations in the tools of conception
and production. A "non-standard" architecture is a
reflection on the language of this discipline as well as on
its field of application, based on an exploration of digital
elements. Traditional construction can now be contrasted to
production by the prototyping of prefab architectural elements.
The notion of "non-standard" appeared in mathematics in 1961
with the works of Abraham Robinson. The implications are
multiple and touch all the disciplines where algorithmic
systems can be applied, for example artificial intelligence,
but also morphogenetics (the development of forms). The
question being asked here is how the digital process, as in
the field of publishing, has changed the economy of
architectural production, from design to construction."

I found the whole thing kind of morbidly fascinating, due to
the virtuosity of what was being presented, and also the
total void of any social imaginary for the possible use and
inhabitation of this stuff. At the time I wrote a small kind
of review for my colleagues in the journal Multitudes, which
I translate here from French:

The exhibition "Non-Standard Architectures" presents some
extremely free research into morphogenesis, rendered
possible by computer-assisted design. It's an exhibition of
maquettes, often carried out by the kind of
three-dimensional modeling machines used in contemporary
industry. Few of these plans have actually been realized.
Sinuous, irregular curves are generated by the application
of complex algorithms to data gleaned from various kinds of
forms (built volumes, topological figures, musical or dance
motifs, etc.). The most interesting of the groups presented
here is called Nox. They show: a modular office space, or
really, a hive, destined for use by TV creatives, with work
spaces that take the form of randomly exploded bubbles; a
rock-concert hall with a multi-use program, constituted of a
series of curving ribbons that have been stretched out to
varying degrees; a kind of huge neon light-sculpture the
size of a water tower, vaguely resembling an extracted
tooth, which changes color according to the fluctuating
emotions of the city's inhabitants who are supposed to
communicate their moods to their municipal monument via a
website; and finally, a sort of openwork pavilion with a
generous, rhythmic frame, like a sculpture by Moore or
Brancusi transformed into a hollow, diaphanous volume. The
plan of this last pavilion or folly (which exists in
reality, as does the tooth-monument) was generated on the
basis of an analysis of choreographic motifs, translated
into strips of cut paper which were then elevated into
undulating volumes. The pavilion is equiped with eight
movement sensors that are used to recombine the fragments of
an electro-acoustic composition, so that the visitor
gradually understands that his/her presence in the structure
influences the music played in the space, but without ever
being able to determine exactly how. Both the pavilion and
the tooth-monument constitute something like a baroque for
the twenty-first century.

Nox images: www.arcspace.com/architects/nox/d_tower/index.htm

The desire behind this aesthetics of the complex curve -- an
undeniably powerful desire, conveying very real expectations
of contemporary individuls -- is to recover some kind of
flexibility in the most positive sense of the word, via
sophisticated algorithms translated into forms by computer.
This work is at antipodes from Corbusian orthogonality and
standardization, in flight from the bureaucratic ideal of
equality that underlay them: it's an architecture for the
flexible personality. As several commentators have noted,
there is no social conscience in this panorama of the
architectural future: the projects are above all private
homes, museums, quasi-sculptures, corporate shrines and
consumer spaces. But once built -- and these forms will be
constructed, they are already being constructed in the
Netherlands -- this non-standard architecture will
definitely have a social function: that of the postmodern
sublime, which allows the individual to measure him or
herself against the terror of the unknown, and to adapt to
situations of cognitive dissonance and disjunction, where
one can only have partial mastery over the flow of
information and sensations into which one is nonetheless
immersed. Like baroque architecture in its time, this will
be a dazzling spectacle for the greater number who will
tremble in admiration; and it will also be a disorienting
but stangely reassuring spectacle for the transnational
elites, who will always be able to recognize a few familiar
technical elements in the apparent chaos (a feedback loop,
the translucent sheen of a particular high-tech
polymer....). In short, here as elswhere, the bureaucratic
norms of the industrial period have been overcome, but only
through virtuoso, high-end performances, leaving the great
majority without anything to hang onto, and failing to open
up any constructive path for a thinking of the multitudes....

BH