[iDC] Some things about performance

Khan, Omar omarkhan at ap.buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 21 18:53:18 EDT 2006

Hi John and Sergio,
John I agree with your sentiment that embodied experience is a necessary component of learning but I don't think that you have to personally experience something prior to conceptualizing or theorizing about it. This would suggest that we can't really know anything that we haven't experienced. I can know things through others' experiences as well as through reasoning myself or following other's reasoning about those things that I will never experience. By privileging one form of knowledge over another we foreclose the vitality of exchange, back and forth, that reason and embodied experience go through to create knowledge.

>'perform or else' is not a tyranny created in and exported by the united >states -
>it is the lifeblood of every performative condition around the world
>any and every action requires enacting
>you do have to perform
>to just do it
>(to live, to try to live)
>or else

I think you miss the point of the "or else". This is a directive that has been given, but by whom? It may be the zeitgeist of the age but it hasn't always been the case. You say it is the "lifeblood" of living. But even as you try to remove the performative politics ("tyranny") of "or else" your own language betrays you: "to just do it, (to live, to try to live), or else."

or else what! Or else I will lose my job, my health, my freedom, my life. Life is not performance... Performances dictate. What are you dictating?

>women birthing babies must perform somehow
>babies themselves must perform
>and as they grow they learn first to 'act out'
>and then to 'act up'
>and lastly to 'act their age'

What if a child doesn't act his age. Does he/she not perform?
What if a woman can't birth or has a miscarriage. Does she not perform?

>What does performance have to do with distributive creativity? with >technological situatedness? with 'things'?

Performance is an embodied action, by an individual, a community, an institution (people and things) for a particular purpose (entertainment, education, protest, winning etc.). The type of body a performance works through can be corporeal (my body) and/or conceptual (a group, a building, a nation). Duro3 is engaged in a performance with his intended audience. Sounds like he is a great performer and well rewarded. Is his performance creative? cool? marketable? maybe all three. Good for him.

This is where I think what Sergio says
>Because "performance", for me, relates in a lot of ways to productivity, >efficiency, and the demands of a production system which expects us to >perform as fast and precise as machines; and "installation" relates to the >imposition of a technological, calculated and planned reality over the one >that was there before.

Very much resonates with me. I also want another word but having come up with one will that also go sour. Maybe "performance's" ambiguity, its normativity and its queerness is still useful?

Omar