[iDC] still Some things about performance

sergio basbaum sbasbaum at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 11:24:36 EDT 2006

Charlie,

My insight about performance is not taken from your book - a book I
truly admire, and which I´ve studied carefully for my PhD thesis. I
think it is a book not well known in Brazil, and which brilliantly -
and with stunning amount of references - contextualizes historically
and critically the emergency of a "digital culture", as you define
already in the first pages - and a series of cultural forms and
aesthetic changes that develop in such context.

I purchased it in NY in 2003 and it is really worth reading.

However, except for using your "digital culture" notion, I'm not
quoting nor misquoting you in my opinion about the possible (but in a
certain way obvious) relations among digital culture and the surfacing
of art forms such as "performance" and "instalations", which is - I
naivelly believe so, and as long as I know - quite personal.

Colleagues here do not easily share with me this path, which suggests
that, in a first moment, these art forms were named as such and these
practices and labels meant some kind of resistence and critique to
(then) current aesthetic and social values - aesthetic strategies that
helped us to supersede modernity and land in post-modernity.

But maybe now, in a world completely dependent in digital mediation,
we should investigate some meanings such definitions carry with them,
and maybe try to find different ones for what is happening. Because
"performance", for me, relates in a lot of ways to productivity,
efficiency, and the demands of a production system which expects us to
perform as fast and precise as machines; and "instalation" relates to
the imposition of a technological, calculated and planned reality over
the one that was there before.

This is not at all opposed to some questions you raise in "Digital
Culture", but the problems I am raising  here are not adressed there.
These words "instalation" and "performance" may not imply resistance
anymore, because they are too confortable with contemporary values.

And I'm suggesting that maybe we should look for new ones. And why not?

This do not imply I do not have great respect and admiration for many
artists here and there which are doing performances (many times with
technological-bodies) and instalations (imersive, interactive,
synesthesic, etc...) all around. Me myself I've been doing some
performance recently.

It´s just that we have to keep on raising problems in order to be aware.

all the best

Sérgio

Dr. Sérgio Roclaw Basbaum
Dept. de Ciência da Computação
Pontificia Universidade Católica , São Paulo (PUC-SP)
www.globalstrike.net