[iDC] a personal intro and questions on precedent

molly wright steenson molly at girlwonder.com
Sun Sep 10 11:02:47 EDT 2006

A bit of a personal introduction first, by way of introducing my
question. Trevor asked me to introduce myself a while back and I've
been on the move for the last month. This is the first chance.

I'm Molly Wright Steenson. In a past life, I was a professor at the
Interaction Design Institute Ivrea, in Ivrea, Italy, where I led the
connected communities research area. (Karmen Franinovic, one of the
people participating in the symposium, was one of the students I
advised). Thanks to people like Karmen, I found I was more interested
in architecture than virtual interactions on screens. Previous to
that, I started working with online community in 1992 and the web in
94, was active in the webzine community in the late 90s: I was the co-
founder of Maxi, a pop-culture feminist webzine. I worked at places
like Netscape, Reuters, and a variety of web design studios leading
design and application projects. I was also very active in the AIGA
Experience Design group.

I'm now attending the Yale School of Architecture (where I'm pursuing
a history/theory masters with Keller Easterling and Emmanuel Petit as
my advisors), and am working on architectural, historical frameworks
for mobile, social architecture. I am also interested in issues of
development and technology. This summer, I spent six weeks in
Bangalore at Microsoft Research India, where I researched how people
in urban Bangalore share mobile phones. It turned out to be more
collective than in countries like Japan or Korea.

I'm finding myself a little disenchanted with projects within the
locative media realm, and thus I'm researching modes of mobility in
architectural work in the 60s and 70s to develop a framework to apply
to more recent projects or studies of mobility. I'm less interested
in the dérive and Guy Debord (which have been done, done, done, done,
and done) than I am in the people who broke off from the
Situationists. Right now, I'm writing a chapter on Cedric Price.
Next: cybernetics, Yona Friedman, the Smithsons, and Constant are
next (I'm open to other suggestions, too.). Later, Henri Lefebvre.
Previous to these people, Walter Benjamin with Einbahnstrasse and the
Arcades Project figure in, as do of course Baudelaire and the flâneur
(though again, locative media's often fixated on the flâneur).  I've
not listed the copious philosophers, sociologists, writers, media
theorists, and so on, that I've been reading. They're too copious to
list here. I'm curious about tensions like mobility vs. domesticity,
which always seems to come up, whether then or now.

And so I'd like to ask:
- What precedents might we look to to undergird our discussion of
situated technologies, beyond the most obvious ones that we turn to?
- What fields might these come from? What sources? (For instance, I'm
turning to cybernetics.)
- What should we look to outside of the common discourses of western
Europe, the US, and Japan (that is, outside of the Metabolists)?
Might there be precedents in other parts of the world?
- Where can we look for earlier approaches to networks?
- What about the use of physical infrastructural networks? Cedric
Price's Potteries Thinkbelt (1965-66) used redundant rail links.
Projects in rural India (today) use the mail system to send DVDs to
schools because mail is cheaper and ultimately faster than an
electronic network. Where did we and do we see these connection
points and how might we use them in work today? What are other
precedents of this?

Cheers,
Molly