[iDC] reading list // religious mediated spaces

Saul Ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Sat Sep 9 12:31:04 EDT 2006

Technology is from this perspective the systematic application and replication  of
standardized knowledge  resulting in a mode of tool (tool being either intellectual or
physical) - the development of such technologies have internal logics that exist or are
circumscribed - to reify internal relationships result in an institutional and often an
essentialist/ determinist (self-affirming) view of the object under discussion -- in the
present case enforcing a readymade dualist opposition that does not from my perspective
does is not fruitful to our understanding of the object under discussion  -- I would
suggest that the path least taken is some times more profitable and sometimes
disconnects have to be investigated - this is not because the system we live in is
totalizing despite its drive to become such) it is only meant that it is necessary to
view things in terms of what they exclude not just what they claim is inclusive and
these must looked at in terms of their own a priori and posterior conditions -  this way
we may resist the linearity of creating causal chains that form their own context --
after all we are born into an always already made world -

Such a approach might allow you to see religious faith as something other than mystical
- though it may be metaphysical - a scientist can have fervent religious faith in
science - yet not even be a deist