[iDC] reading list

pat kane playethical at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:48:55 EDT 2006

Hi all

Perplexed to find myself on this list in the first place, but have been
delighted by its range and quality of debate. Was thrilled by Brian Holmes
invocation of Schiller and the 'play drive' - researched that for my Play
Ethic book (www.theplayethic.typepad.com). I'd like to respond to the
play-mobility-triviality debate soon.

But reading list is a nice idea:

Claire Colebrook - Deleuze: A guide for the Perplexed
Wendy Wheeler - the Whole Creature: Complexity, Biosemiotics and the
Evolution of Culture
Geoff Mulgan - Good and Bad Power
Yochai Benkler - The Wealth of Networks
James Carse - Finite and Infinite Games
Paulo Virno - A Grammar for the Multitude
Brian Sutton-Smith - The Ambiguity of Play
Edward Castronova - Synthetic Worlds
Ivan Illich - Tools for Conviviality

Amassed in order that I can try to explore the notion of a 'ground of play'
- ie, is there any other institutional (perhaps constitutional) arrangement,
apart from Lessig's 'innovation commons', that could support a society of
player-citizens. Felix Stalder's book on Manuel Castells is on order, and
awaited eagerly.

Play well, psychonauts

PK