[iDC] reading list

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Fri Sep 1 16:50:42 EDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Brian Holmes wrote:

> Here's my current reading list whcih is also project specific
>
> --Norbert Wiener: Cybernetics + The Human Use of Human Beings
Herbert Marcuse: One Dimensional Man
Peter Berger and Thomas Luckman: The social construction of Knowledge
Various texts by John dewey on Democracy, the Individual and Culture
M. Mereau-Ponty: Phenomenology of Perception
Alan Milchman and Alan Rosenberg (editors) Foucault and Heidegger
Peter Berger: The Thinking of the Master , Bataille between Hegel and
Surrealism
Daniel Bell:  The End of Ideology
Daniel Bell: The Cultural Contraditions of Capital
Karl Hannheim: Ideology and Utopia
Michele Richman: Durkheim and the College of Sociologie
William Rasch: Nicholas Luhman's Modernity
Nicholas Luhman: Art as a Social System
Raymond Williams: The Politics of Modernism
As Found: The discovery of the Ordinary, Pub. Lars Muller
Larry Shiner : the Invention of Art

All of this to write a text on the politics of self realization: from
self improvement to consumerism and come to understand our present
sense of selflessness

saul