[iDC] Fwd: Battling Bragg beats MySpace

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Fri Jun 30 10:23:19 EDT 2006

While I fully agree with this the general "suckyness" of the original
MySpace copyright and the current move to alleviate that, I feel that
Billy Bragg  and "the next generation of artists" that use the internet
to avoid "physical manufacturing and distribution" are running around
with blindfolds over their eyes if they try to market themselves through
MySpace.

For example, to avoid his copyright issues, he could have rented a
virtual fileserver with domain ($3.19/month for the Economy hosting plan
at godaddy.com). And just for fun, I commented a screenshot of Billy's
MySpace page - not as a  personal critique, but  merely to illustrate
the general tech-unsavyness that is apparent.
http://www.ferzkopp.net/MediaAndArt/IDC/billybragg-myspace-with_comments.jpg

So what does this mean? Here we have a prime example how many of us (and
I don't exclude myself) are stumbling around this new "net world" trying
to make sense of the things - from technical issues to legal ones like
copyright. I think we are generally failing to protect our rights and
privacy due to the inherent complexities of the technology and murky
nature of its laws. MySpace was seen as "the good guy" because of its
popularity ... until someone actually read the "legal.html" page and
made their copyright policy more public. But who is to blame? I could
argue that Billy doesn't deserve better if his songs are taken away by
News Corp - it was stated in the "legal.html" that they could and I am
sure he clicked on the "I Agree" button during signup. Or do we need to
police these service providers better and dissallow them to do these
kind of blanket "upload it and give up your rights" policies. I would
argue that the second option is the better one, but that would get very
political very quickly.

Recently I read about a policy shift with a big Canadian ISP that will
enable them to 'monitor or investigate content or your use of your
service provider's networks and to disclose any information necessary to
satisfy any laws, regulations or other governmental request.' once you
sign on to their service.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/28/1516243
Wow, that sucks away my privacy, I thought - although I am with a
competitor for my internet needs, my ISP will probably soon do the same
in due time. So here I am - technically astute and with a Linux server
in the basement and two hours later I had the TOR http://tor.eff.org/
server running and PRIVOXY http://www.privoxy.org/ removing the
GoogleAds on the fly. Finally private surfing again - but uselessly
slow, and oh so ineffective against an ISP! Last week when I was
streaming a worldcup soccer game from my home PC to the office, the
provider seemd to put a filter on my connection after about a day of
streaming. No more outgoing video packets pass through my wire now ...
and no this is not port filtering, believe me I tried.

My personal conclusion: Living with "the net" means being smart about it
(=extra effort). And maybe one should at least think about an "exit
strategy" when it becomes time to drop out from parts of the net.