[iDC] Gender, Race, and Ethnicity

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Tue Apr 18 10:57:40 EDT 2006

Hi and thanks Trebor for such a harvest of interesting links and research!
I am myself a hybrid between academy and creation, have done studies in
Social Anthropology and I am a writer with ten or twelve books published.
Since I am born in South America, Uruguay, but live in Sweden since many
years and speaks Spanish and Swedish, a "mayor" language and a "minor"
language, I started early to examine the relationship between English
nativespeaker and we "the Others" in cyberspace and elsewhere.
Language is today as much a gap as gender, race and class. People who
don't master the intellectual academic lingo are not welcome as
interlocutors in the virtual salons.
The abscence of common  references alienate researchers, artists and
activists who don't use the hegemonic language to express themselves,
the same can also be applied to academics or to writers. The French
magazine "Herodote" published an issue some years ago dedicated to the
languages, it was called "Les langues megalomans" (The Megalomaniac
Languages) and was  dedicated to the studie of the power relation
between the Imperial languages and the minority languages, French,
Spanish and English and all the colonized world speaking the language of
the old colonial metropolis.
Coco Fuscos book "English is Broken here" it's a interesting reflection
about how English has been transformed to a lingua franca equivalent to
the Latin in the Middle Ages.
I have a vaste bibliography I can share: "Race in Cyberspace", edited by
Beth Kolko and Lisa Nakamura, Routledge
"Africans on Stage", studies on Ethnological Show Business, edited by
Bernth Lindfors, Indiana University Press
"English is Broken here", Coco Fusco, New Press
"Mother Tongues", Sexuality, Trials, Motherhood, Translation, Barbara
Johnson, Harvard University Press
"With other eyes", Looking at Race and Gender in Visual Culture, edited
by Lisa Bloom, University of Minnesotta Press
"Exhibiting Cultures", The poetics and politics of Museum  Display, ed
by Ivarn Karp and Steven Levine, Smithsonian Institute
"Exotics at Home", Anthropology, Others, American Modernity, Micaela di
Leonardo,
University of Chicago Press
"The Digital Divide", editor Benjamin Compaine, MIT press

Ana