[iDC] Curating New Media Art

Isabelle Arvers zabarvers at bluewin.ch
Sat Apr 15 04:30:35 EDT 2006

Le 14 avr. 06 à 02:25, ch!k a écrit :
Hi,

> olalala
>
>> enlarge the circle "artists, curators, institutions and art
>> venues" it has to be more connected to reality, real people and
>> problematics and it has to do more with public spaces, street,
>> network, supermarket, schools, suburbs...
> ah this is raising new hopes - one day I will be included: after
> literature (some time ago someone asked me "what art education do
> you have" but I felt really embarrassed to say i only studied
> literature since {could see the disappointment in his eyes} that is
> not considered art anymore these days) and after some years of
> philosophy I got into car mechanics: telling you my dear friends
> this is real problematics and real people, also - after abandoning
> either disciplinary chopped up spare rib art and doing media art
> once in a while - I consider myself very real oh please clarify,
> esp. the problematics ...

ok some clarifications: in france by instance, the cultural offer
only touches 10% of the population, so i meant the rest of the
population: 90%

>> about curating exhibitions in dance clubs: my first exhibition in
>> a physical space (before it was mostly on the net) was a gaming
>> room (playtime-villette numérique 2002) which was open during the
>> day inside a new media festival exhibition and at night, the
>> exhibit was also open
> commercial spaces you mean? nice how these arts are totally fitting
> in into economical spaces, and very uplifting for the nonprofit
> sector, thought you were talking about real people, but then you
> only mention club owners, waiters, clubbers and gamers up to now,
> yes yes more people come once in a while but that tis for
> entertainment? ah, please clarify, esp, what makes nights more
> interesting than daylight output ... and another thought::
> relationship art and entertainment {this list can go on about it
> for a while I have the impression, hoehoe}
>
>> during two nights 10000 party timers had the occasion to discover
>> old games, consoles and computers and also artists websites and
>> installations or videos related to games
> apart from the fact that I never understood what bovine
> competitiveness and blunt commercial venues have to do with art
> exhibitions (only entrance fees are the link?) in the first place,
> does this add a qualitative dimension to what we are doing or does
> it simply justify what politicians of all sorts throw out when
> applications have to be refused: 10000 people are good! oh, please
> clarify, esp, with what you mean with "discovery" about games for
> partying people related to media arts ...

come on, la villette is part of the ministry of culture and it is a
public cultural venue! it was a big new media festival with two
electronic music nights, and if you can't understand the need of
mixing audiences, and opening the doors of consciousness to more
people... i can't help

for once net.art was presented to a large audience and it was an
occasion to discover Jodi, Natalie Bookchin, Guerrilla News Network,
Les Virtualistes, Space Invaders, Hoogerbrugge, and all the rest of
the exhibition: Granular Synthesis, Akitsugu Maebayashi

the discovery of games was more intended to the parents and media
professionals that often (not always) don't give any respect to game
culture

>> what i prefer in surrealist ideas is the idea of "la rencontre
>> fortuite", this is what i beleive in... and it can't happend in
>> circles that are closed on themselves, this is why it is important
>> again to mix the audiences and look for new kind of participation
> but did you hear the boom boom boom boom music that night - you
> like surrealists! now you reveal yourself, but aren't most of them
> stone dead by now {interesting time related issue} of course they
> were not "closed on themselves" haha: name 10 without checking in a
> wiki or google pffff - and more importantly do you really think
> that a rather amorph category of party timers are open minded more
> than a rather indefinite bunch of game-maker-artists? so follow-up
> is needed here: did you afterwards check whether the game makers
> were added to the party timers and vice versa? if the attendance to
> both categories did not change over the years, and if we cannot
> make a difference with party timers game makers and the upgrading
> issue : more understanding of media arts (in which games take up a
> very particular but ltd {hihi} space) and at the same time some
> deeper qualitative appreciation of parties for media artists [we
> can go together to check out, what venues do you suggest?]

you must be right, we should let the things as they are,
"acculturate" on one side and some very clever people on the other,
but i find a bit snobbish, sorry
and for me, mixing audiences (any type of) is a socio-political
issue, to try to make things change, and not let them as they are,
after the riots in november in france, i think that one of my role is
to purpose little ideas to break the symbolic wall that exists
between different kinds of population

isabelle arvers
www.isabelle-arvers.com