[thingist] Baby-Boomers' Cowardice

w w at thing.net
Sun Mar 18 19:04:48 UTC 2012

> On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 14:19 +0000, pffend Fend wrote:

> the complete lack of spine of the US military about the disgraceful
> act of a soldier gone, they say, "amok"; the least we could do would
> be a court-martial of the soldier and, as Wolfgang pointed out, his
> commanding officers

Peter, that's not exactly what I meant.  The commanding general actually
has been trying to calm down his troops, as Robert Fisk observed in a
recent article:
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-madness-is-not-the-reason-for-this-massacre-7575737.html

What I meant was the _systemic madness_ of a stupid neo-colonial war
that cannot be won.  Who wants to be the last one to die for this
idiocy?  There are some good reasons Afghanistan has been called the
graveyard of empires.  So far, nobody but Ghengis Khan managed to stay
there for any length of time.

Meanwhile, here in downtown New York, one the occasion of the
half-anniversary of the OWS movement, some people congregated at Zucotti
Park.  I decided to exercise my constitutional right to free assembly
and joined them in the evening.  When I arrived, a crowd of perhaps 500
peaceful people were hanging out.  While chatting with some old friends
(Rene Gabri was there and some people from the Mayan Spring Training), I
noticed a disproportionate force of NYPD troopers massing on the eastern
side of the park.  Then, without giving any reason (the park ostensibly
has 24 hours public access, so the assembly was perfectly legal) they
suddenly announced with a bullhorn that they were going to clear the
park and if we wouldn't leave immediately we'd be subject to arrest.
Some people sat down and the cops moved in with drawn batons and started
arresting people.  Those who didn't move were dragged away by force and
loaded into waiting vans.

Let's face it, the US is a failed state, run by a gang of thieves out of
200 West Street, the one thing Alessio Rastani was right about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC19fEqR5bA

If you try to reason with them, you look like Kermit the frog.

Nothing left but to join the occupation.

Have a nice day,

Wolfgang