[thingist] Fw: Re: What about a subjective, evolving, archive?

Alan Moore awm13579 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 10:06:04 UTC 2010

hi Folks,
moved to make some comment - although i lost my notes --

maybe i am not on the right list here? dunno... -- we'll see -- i get this
at yahoo and at gmail -- symptomatic, actually, of the depth of engagements
at work, since Yahoo is my email for old lists, etc....

i read W's letter, and found it somehow sad... agree with some of the
critiques by people i've never met -- now i am in Hamburg for some days, so
it looks like i may meet at least one of the "secessionist" thing-ers...

in terms of life -- i agree with Joseph -- let the younger ones make the
determinations how to use thing
Joseph was my compatriot, as was Wolfgang, in important self-organized
artist action in the 1970s and '80s -- ABC No Rio, artists' cable TV -- this
work also by the way remains largely unhistoricized... ABC only because Marc
Miller and i made the book --
much of this book is now online at 98bowery.com -- very good, but coming off
an actual physical book, so the differences are significant...

for me the Thing has been first a mystery, and then a sporadic engagement --
unlike James Allan, i never "hung up my six guns and moved to town" -- i am
still out there somehow, and masterless...
but the difference between me and you is that i did not discover the uses of
the internet until very very late -- still i can't do much on it, and what i
have learned was at my occasional university jobs when i had support -- but
actually i do a lot of online work on my project now, which is research on
EU occupied social centers

and that too is really unknown, or, rather historicized from particular
angles, and without any comprehensive reflection...

i like the idea of Justin Berry -- it is a way to begin the process of
historicization, and that is very important, to begin... you can begin
openly, or -- really if you have a lot of money and staff, or a person(s)
who dedicate themself to it -- you can wait until it's all together to make
it public

i also think it is good to let Steven Kaplan and "James Kalm" continue --
they do what they do, and it is not nothing -- there is also Douglas Kelley,
who is part of what goes on at thing.post.net, and has been for a long
while... i used Kalm's work in my attempts to understand the Brooklyn
self-organized scene in the '90s and '00s -- again, the world of markets and
institutions does not care about this, so nothing is done except by artists
in the way of organized remembrance and passing on of these experiences --

and that is what it is about, is passing it on -- well, i am sermonizing...
but in Hamburg i am beginning to see that people are and have been making
art about making space, and that is a central drama of our times, since as
it opens virtually it is closed down and reclaimed actually -- and the
enclosure extends of course to the virtual, as Rhizome is institutional, and
Hamburg Thing is archived -- not, as i have heard as a matter of choice, but
because they lost their funding because they were too political... and the
politics is cultural politics, the work to preserve space and money for
open, horizontal, democratic culture, not only the "winners" in the market
and institution games

this was Toywar too -- the contest for virtual space, a successful campaign
without which Yes Men would not have been, or it would not have occurred to
them to do that --

oh well, just to say, what was the thing is a very interesting question -
and it becomes only more interesting as time goes by... what is the thing is
a sort of mercurial fluid position at a moment when things have hardened up
all around us - and that, believe it or not, is extraordinarily valuable --
eine offentliche Raum that people pay attention to -- or not

conclude? i think most constructive *re. the blog* is do nothing, and also
don't boycott -- put in some posts, maybe determine a collective tack or
theme... John Menick had and collected many ideas for how to evolve it,
prepared for grants -- if development gets active, they can be revisited
i have my private opinions, but i also post to thing.net and really it is an
important position for me -- where else should i go? i am socially lazy, and
don't go to the right parties now to meet the new people

about the *thing past*, go with the "subjective" cloud thing, and see how
that moves forward -- also it is important to make connection with people
who do this history for a living, and get them interested in the thing as a
project -- you know who they are, not me, altho i can find out, and would
help on this when the ball is rolling... the very indefinition of the thing
is what is so very interesting about it.... a private public utility...

i look forward to the screenings as a chance to meet and chat with people i
will surely like to know

all the best,
-am

p.s. re Archives of American Art -- just dumping doesn't usually work -- you
need earlier preparation of materials... also maybe not the right place, or,
rather, not the only place -- needs a consultation and investigation on this
question

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Alan Moore <awm13579 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alan W. Moore
>
> 123 Scribner Ave SI NY 10301
> cel : 917 574 8392
>
> working this project: http://occuprop.blogspot.com
> MWF video archive: http://www.brickhaus.com/amoore

Alan W. Moore
cel: 917 574 8392

123 Scribner Ave SI NY 10301

Summer of '10 in  Madrid, Hamburg, Berlin & etc. doing "House Magic: Bureau
of Foreign Correspondence" blogging at http://occuprop.blogspot.com