[iDC] Introductions

Mark Nowak Mark.Nowak at mville.edu
Wed Sep 24 13:23:25 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark Nowak. For the past decade, I've been leading creative writing workshops with trade unions, rank-and-file workers organizations, and social movements labor groups across the USA, EU, and South Africa. Since 2012, I've been collaborating with the PEN World Voices Festival to facilitate workshops with NY-area groups that have ended with readings/events at the Festival: Domestic Workers United (2012), members of Taxi Workers Alliance (2013), and immigrant/migrant farm workers in the Hudson River Valley through the Kingston-based Workers Justice Center of New York (2014). The most recent event included readings by worker poets at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe and a "pop-up" poetry reading by farm workers at the Union Square Farmers Market.

Our Sunday event at Digital Labor will feature a reading and conversation with several participants in these workshops including taxi drivers Davidson Garrett and Seth Goldman, farmworker Lourdes Galvan, & hopefully others. It will also include a brief film from the workshops with Domestic Work United. We're also interested in meeting folks who might share information on helping us build a web presence for a worker-writers school we're developing at the moment. The "Stories of Solidarity" project, for example, is really exciting to us.

We're really looking forward to meeting everyone at Sweathshops, Picket lines, & Barricades!

Mark

Mark Nowak, Director
MFA Program in Creative Writing
Manhattanville College
2900 Purchase Street
Purchase, NY 10577
p 914.323.7157
f 914.323.3122
t @MvilleMFA<https://twitter.com/MvilleMFA>
w http://mville.edu/mfa

[http://www.mville.edu/images/Email-150x28-SignatureLogo.jpg]
This electronic message contains information from Manhattanville College, which may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us at the reply email address.