[iDC] #DL14

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 03:06:35 UTC 2014

On 19 Sep 2014, at 16:31, Trebor Scholz wrote:

> Forward!

I always enjoy the ritual offerings of IDC introductions, which are
almost Norman Rockwell–like in their sincerity. Reading them -- on a
listserv, no less, one of the great urforms of the net -- is so
refreshing.

Trebor, your intro email was excellent. One passage especially intrigued
me:

> This isn't merely an academic event because this discourse has not
> only been shaped in universities. Philosophers, artists, sociologists,
> designers, toolmakers, activists, MTurk workers, journalists, legal
> scholars, and labor historians ... all co-shaped the ongoing debate
> about digital work.

I'm interested in the word "merely." On first blush, it sounds humble
almost to the point of self-deprecation, but that's mainly rhetorical.
The logic of the email as a whole affirms very traditional ideas about
the academy -- as an autonomous context from which to examine the world
(e.g., to ask questions in a nearly monarchic first-person plural), to
assess and even to judge things (like "crooked language"), to advocate
and "give voice," and so on.

Those things describe some of what happens in higher ed, but they also
leave a lot of things out. In particular, they gloss over the
catastrophic changes -- material, economic, political -- that are
redefining what that 'autonomy' might or might not mean. The most
obvious is the financialization of higher ed, which I think should be
seen as a kind of death by a thousand cuts.

Let me review some of the most serious wounds. Some are obvious, some
less so.

(1) Higher ed in the US is based on indentured servitude in the form of
nondischargeable debt. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I see this as
fairly new, the result of various legislative changes made between the
mid-'80s and mid-'90s -- in other words, *reversible*. Either way, the
consequences of that debt will play an overwhelming role in defining
what 'labor' means to alumnae/i (a category that should include people
who dropped out). For many students, alma mater -- your boss -- is a
debt collector.

(2) Faculties are almost uniformly silent on this subject. Most people
on this list would struggle to name five people with "professor" in
their title who've publicly challenged this debt-driven model. Given the
staggering volume of this debt, the word "complicit" is looking pretty
good. Sure, we all know why: faculty are threatened by various kinds of
informalization (full-time > part-time, tenure-track > contract, etc).
Like I said, these immense changes are redefining academic autonomy.

(3) Universities and colleges are coming under growing pressure to
diversify their revenue sources. Obvious examples include external
sponsors ('partnerships' is the normal euphemism), the pursuit of
intellectual property (most of which is aspirational, to put it mildly),
'global' campus franchises, and so on. Less obvious (or at least less
openly acknowledged) revenue sources include nonresident students --
notably 'international' students -- who can and will pay more. In many
ways these are *positive* developments that are forcing curricula and
pedagogies to grapple with a quickly changing world; but those
educational aspects are often used to cloak the financial logic that
drives these changes.

(4) The amount of money coursing through higher ed is so vast, and the
quality of management so poor (drawn mainly from the ranks of failed
researchers and teachers), that the sector has become an attractive
target for neoliberal 'rationalizing' strategies. An important but
little-recognized stalking horse for this is the outsourcing basic
institutional functions under the rubric of 'IT'. With every year that
passes, universities are becoming ever-less inefficient bundlers of
third-party IT services: email and document-sharing; 'learning
management' and 'course management'; recruitment, advising, and
retention analytics; course and faculty ratings; publication 'tracking';
and so on. Every one of these 'services' represents a missed opportunity
for disciplinary experts to assert their authority *in practice* within
their institutions.

(5) And then there's 'academic publishing,' which for the most partly
has become a disastrous mix of exploitation and irrelevance. And that's
just the (again) *aspirational* output in the form of disciplinary
publications. What's less visible to professionals who've grown used to
jockeying with each other for status but *very* visible to most students
who don't aspire to become academics is the 'textbook' racket -- or,
more generally, the commercialization of curricular support materials.
Academics working in ~humanist fields aren't very aware of this, but in
practical and professional fields the systematic translation of
curricula into scaleable modules suited to standardized 'delivery' and
'assessment' is the norm.

I could go on, but my point is simple: academics can't talk about labor
without candidly addressing the issues that define the conditions under
which they think and speak. DL14 could be an excellent opportunity to do
so.

Cheers,
Ted