[iDC] Introduction

Paula Chakravartty puc1 at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 20 15:07:39 UTC 2014

I’m Paula Chakravartty, an Associate Professor here in New York in the Department of Media, Culture and Communication and the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at NYU.

I have had a long-standing interest in the political economy of (digital) media and labor in the US, India and across North-South divides more broadly. My research has focused on migration, race/caste and class alliances and oppositions.

 My current research includes a a collaborative research project on the infrastructures of empire in the Inter-Asian context (Middle East, North Africa and South and East Asia), that considers the role of spontaneous and organized workers revolts in information/telecom industries in Asia.  For some background on this project see: http://www.nyu-apastudies.org/2012/event/workshop-on-infrastructures-of-empire-mediated-activism-and-counter-revolutions/

I am also working on a second project on rendering visible collective action strategies and successes of South Asian migrant workers in the Gulf as part of the Gulf Labor project involving academics, artists and activists. For the latest report published by Gulf Labor see: http://gulflabor.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/GL_Report_Apr30.pdf

I look forward to meeting everyone.

Best,
Paula

Paula Chakravartty
Associate Professor
Gallatin School & Department of Media, Culture and Communication (MCC),
NYU