[iDC] Digital Labor introduction: Miriam Posner

Miriam Posner miriam.posner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 00:49:18 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm really excited to meet you all and to hear about your work in November.

I coordinate and teach in the Digital Humanities program at UCLA. A lot of
my past work has been on the visual culture of medicine, and specifically
how physicians have used narrative techniques to connect the body together
on film. I'm finishing my book, *Depth Perception*, on that subject now.

The project I'll be presenting at the Digital Labor conference, which I'm
calling "Dendriform Capitalism," is about supply-chain management, a term
that management professionals use to describe the flow of goods from raw
materials to the customer. I focus specifically on SAP, the software that
most large companies use to manage their supply chains, and describe SAP's
data model, the logic that governs its many different pieces, and how we
might use methods from platform studies and Marxist theory to analyze this
software.

It's something I find interesting enough to keep me awake as I comb through
SAP technical manuals, which is saying a lot!

Very much looking forward to the conference.

Miriam