[iDC] Digital Labor introduction: Carl DiSalvo

Carl DiSalvo carl.disalvo at lmc.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 14 19:26:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

I’m one of the organizers / participants for the Civic Hacking panel at Digital Labor. We are both going take a critical view of “Civic Hacking” and also examine some cases that support possibilities for collective civci action.

My background is in design and the humanities. I’m in the School of Literature, Media, and Communication at Georgia Tech, and with Mel Gregg I co-direct the Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing. I also run a design research student called the Public Design Workshop.

My work examines the political qualities of design. I published a book in 2012 called Adversarial Design that looked at how theories of agonism might inform design. I’m also currently studying civic hackathons with and interest in how they shape what constitutes civics and, all too often, bracket out the political.

I look forward to meeting every in New York this Fall.

Carl