[iDC] Introduction -- Howard V. Hendrix

Howard Hendrix howardh at csufresno.edu
Tue Jun 10 21:34:59 UTC 2014

Hello all:

At Digital Labor 2014, I'm doing an infoworker presentation called "Seven Years A Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Wretch: Lessons Learned Dissenting From Digital Devolution."

I hold a BS in Biology (Xavier University, Ohio) and MA and PhD in English Literature, the latter both from University of California, Riverside. I've taught at the college level for over thirty years, and am currently at California State University, Fresno. I have also been a professional science fiction writer for nearly as long.

My first four published novels appeared from Ace Books (Penguin Putnam): Lightpaths (1997), Standing Wave (1998), Better Angels ( 1999), and Empty Cities of the Full Moon (2001). My fifth novel, The Labyrinth Key ( 2004) , and sixth novel, The Spears of God (2006/7), were published by Ballantine Del Rey/Random House. All my Ace Books have been republished by Wildside Press and are available on audible.com.

I've also published three collections of short stories, as well as authored, co-authored, or co-edited three nonfiction books, most recently Visions of Mars . With my wife Laurel, I am currently co-editing The Encyclopedia of Mars (due out in 2016). My short stories appear regularly in anthologies and in magazines, most recently Analog Science Fiction and Fact , for which I also do occasional editorials. I've also published many poems and book reviews, as well as numerous works of literary criticism and creative nonfiction, the last most recently for Boom: A Journal of California (University of California Press).

I served as Western Regional Director and two term Vice President of the Science-fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (the upshot of which experience led to the circumstances surrounding my Digital Labor presentation). I am a founder of the Fresno Center for Nonviolence and recipient of its Peace Pioneer Award. I also serve on or have served on the boards of several community service organizations.

That's more than enough about me. I look forward to reading all your introductions and seeing you at Digital Labor!

Best,

Howard V. Hendrix