[iDC] introduction

astrid mager astrid.mager at univie.ac.at
Wed Jun 4 11:27:47 UTC 2014

Dear Samuel, dear list,

your email finds me in the middle of a two-day conference and a two-week
family trip, so please excuse me for a rather brief introduction.

I'm a postdoctoral researcher from Vienna  working at the Institute of
Technology Assessment. My background is in science and technology
studies (STS) and my current research is concerned with search
technology and how sociotechnical visions, value-systems, and ideologies
shape search algorithms, but also business models based on practices of
user profiling in different cultural contexts.

At the moment, I'm leading a project on search engines at the
intersection of global capitalism and local (Austrian) socio-political
cultures - obviously, the European level will be central here as a kind
of middle ground for governance processes. The ongoing reform of the EU
data protection legislation will be central in this analysis since it is
an important arena where supposedly global search engines - Google first
and foremost - are imagined and governed in European contexts. It's a
site where tensions between US-American search engines/ social media and
European, but also different national visions and values may be
observed, where IT lobbying takes place on a grand scale, and where
Edward Snowden and the NSA scandal plays a crucial role too.

The analysis of European visions and value-systems will then be compared
to my past research on capitalist ideologies driving search engines in
US-American contexts.That's where digital labor comes into play. I've
argued that we need to go beyond the political economy of search engines
to understand complex actor-networks and power relations involved in the
construction and stabilization of big players like Google. Accordingly,
content providers and users are not merely exploited by Google & co, but
rather stabilize its powerful role and capital accumulation cycle by
contributing mundane forms of labor - Profit is generated due to heavy
sharing, liking, poking, messaging, watching videos, creating content
etc. Drawing on contributions from critical theory (Althusser, Marx,
Gramsci) I've conceptualized the notion algorithmic ideology to grasp
co-shaping processes of algorithmic logics and socio-cultural values,
capitalist ideologies in particular.

Grounded in this body of work, I'll talk about "digital labor,
capitalist ideology, and alternative future" at #DL14. I will discuss
how ideology critique can help us to understand the gridlock of mundane
forms of digital labor that help corporate search engines (and social
media etc.) to further expand, exploit, and commodify larger and larger
parts of the web (and social reality). However, I will further discuss
how users may opt out of Google's capital accumulation cycle and what
role "organic intellectuals" (Gramsci 2012) can play in challenging
hegemonic actors like Google, Facebook, Twitter, ...

If you got interested in my work, you'll find further information/
publications etc on my blog:

http://www.astridmager.net/

or you just get in touch with me on twitter, facebook etc. - ironically,
I'm using these tools to share critical ideas about search engines,
social media, and so forth.. - underlining the dialectical nature of the
digital objects we are working with.. hehe.

I guess that's all for now. I'm looking forward to interesting
discussions and an exciting time at #DL14!!!
Have a nice summer! Best, Astrid