[iDC] history of protocols

Armin Wagner armin.wagner at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 7 13:39:20 UTC 2013

Hello Claus, Hello all,

As far as I know, it was the term "procedure" which was common in the context of pre-computational tele-communication, not "protocol".

Why did the engineers of the 1960s call their procedures "protocols" and why did they mirror Mabillon's protocol? Personally I doubt they occupied themselves with medieval manuscripts. But they certainly were influenced by academic culture. Isn't Mabillon's terminology describing a textual substitute for the court activities of heralds and seneschals at his time, rituals which again were mimicked by Academia? Here's a short clip of the inauguration of 17th President of the MIT, all with ceremonial robes and trumpets. http://amps-web.amps.ms.mit.edu/Institute/2012-2013/inaugural/od-high.html

I'm a long time lurker here and this is my first post too. Sorry for the esoteric reply.

Best,
Armin