[iDC] DIY: nightmare for humanities, social sciences, media

Blake Stimson blakestimson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 06:48:24 UTC 2011

Very helpful analysis Brian, thank you for the way you flesh out the issues at hand so productively and the way you cut to the chase so decisively. Your opening salvo seems particularly useful:

> From my view, we live in a knowledge economy that never became a knowledge society.

The only question I would pose is the knowledge-society-baby-in-the-knowledge-economy-bathwater or dialectic-of-enlightenment one. That is, the old notion of imminent critique assumed that institutions like church and state housed the potential for meaningful change in moral and constitutional laws like "do unto others" or "universal rights of man." We might take education's conventional maxim to house a similar aspiration: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/graphicresources/history.php. Hannah Arendt puts this in context when she said: "The great danger arising from the existence of people forced to live outside the common world is that they are thrown back, in the midst of civilization, on … nothing but [their] own absolutely unique individuality which, deprived of expression within and action upon a common world, loses all significance." The question, in other words, is what role do you envision for institutions per se, if not those which have traditionally laid claim to universalism?

In this regard, I take you to be absolutely right when you say that,

> The universities have bloated along with the knowledge economy,

But I worry that you overreach when you say that,

> they are now almost as corrupt as Wall Street itself ... [and] simply [deny] the existence of society.

It's not so much that I take you to be wrong--certainly it is broadly if not totally the case (although it might be worth noting that Wall Street is an exclusively economic institution in ways that education is not)--but I do worry about _whose_ autonomy will win out in this scenario:

> The institutions of knowledge production are overblown ... [and] are massively reproducing the corrupted basis of the knowledge economy. Autonomous education can help change that...

Universities are indeed overblown--just like post offices, trade unions, governments, etc. In short, universities suffer from bureaucratization and that needs to be challenged as many on this list are right to want to do. But it is also prudent to be mindful of the consistency between the bureaucrats in universities who support the neoliberal powers-that-be by being anti-university (and anti-knowledge-society) and what you refer to as a movement for autonomous education. Institutional critique is the ruling sentiment of our day and its cutting edge lies most fully on the right. Typically this involves one of two positions--either that of the savvy profiteer in it to make a killing or that of the under-educated resentment-filled enthusiast doomed to play the role of the perennial "fool and his money" (with the money at issue being not only her private educational savings account but also what is left of the public funding that would have supported the educational aims of she and her friends.)

This, of course, is very different from the institutional critique on a list like this one with its valuable aim of rethinking the social role of education and imagining different ways that role might be realized. But it is also important to consider the ways in which our reimagining--as well-meaning and insightful as it is--may unwittingly be under the thumb of those with significantly more power to wield who have a very different future in mind, a future whose governing principles are those of the knowledge economy devoid of any glimmer of the great enlightenment dream of a knowledge society.

"Let there be light."