[iDC] The Aims of Education

Anya Kamenetz anyaanya at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:54:33 UTC 2011

The swiftness with which the UK is reverting to an American pattern of
spending on higher education is frightening and destabilizing. Still, I have
to point out that there's a logical relationship between the massification
of higher education and the withdrawal of state support. It's not just about
commodification.

When Oxbridge was for <5% of the population, no problem, it was free. When
higher education is for 40-50% of the population, free is a far more
expensive proposition.

Part of that is about the limits of solidarity in a democratic society--the
rich may feel comfortable supporting each other but not the middle class.
There's a telling example in my book where African-American and Latino
students in the CUNY public college system in New York successfully
organized for equal and open admissions policies in the early 1970s; just a
year or two later, the state assembly voted to charge tuition at those
schools for the first time.
-Anya