[iDC] Mobility Shifts: Introducing the Youth and Media Lab

Joyce Neys joyce.neys at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 06:54:06 UTC 2011

Hi iCD list,

My name is Joyce Neys and, as already mentioned by Andres, I will be also
involved in the workshop 'Practicing Information/Media/Digital Fluency:
Designing Learning Activities For and With Youth' on Saturday October 15,
2011.

Currently, I am a doctoral candidate in the Department of Media and
Communication at the Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) in the Netherlands.
My project, entitled ‘Empowered Citizens – How New Media Facilitate Civic
Engagement’ aims to investigate how and to what extent the creation and use
of new media by citizens facilitates an enhanced context for civic
engagement. I am particularly interested in political video games, political
remix videos, machinima and web animations and I study the creators (process
of development, impact of creation on (civic) engagment as well as knowledge
and opinion about the issue addressed, and so on) as well the users
(experiences  when playing, effect on engagement, knowledge and opinion) of
these digital creations.

This summer I worked as an intern at the Youth and Media Lab at Harvard's
Berkman Center for Internet & Society where I applied my research when
developing and teaching curricula with the team that made use of content
creation to address issues on information quality.

I am very much looking forward to participating in the MobilityShifts
Conference. Hope to see you there!

Joyce

www.joyceneys.com