[iDC] Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics

David Berry D.M.Berry at swansea.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:54:50 UTC 2011

Hi Lev,

Unfortunately I won't be at the conference but I thought as a contribution to the discussion you might like my suggestion for 'iteracy' to stand in for data or computational literacy. Here is my short blogpost:

> I would like to suggest that iteracy might serve as the name for the specific skills used for understanding code and algorithmic culture – as indeed literacy (understanding texts) and numeracy (understanding numbers) do in a similar context. That is, iteracy is specifically the practice or being able to read and write code, rather than the more extensive notion of digital Bildung (see Berry 2011: 20-26). So digital Bildung would include the practices of iteracy and would build on them to facilitate a broader humanistic or critical education. Here, then, iteracy is defined broadly as communicative competence in reading, writing and executing computer code. Iteration itself, is a term used in computing to refer to the repetition of a command, code fragment, process, function, etc. Understanding iteration is a crucial skill for developing programming skills as it is a means of re-using existing processes (looping structures). But also, iteration itself, combined with constant improvements, is a key way of developing software/code (very much associated with agile programming, for instance).

http://stunlaw.blogspot.com/2011/09/iteracy-reading-writing-and-running.html

Best

David

On 2 Oct 2011, at 19:34, Lev Manovich wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> All participants introduced their contribution to the summit on the iDC mailing list.
>>
>> Join the discussion by posting to idc at mailman.thing.net
>>
>> The discussion leading up to MobilityShifts:
>>
>> May 2011
>> Call
>> https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2011-May/004532.html
>>
>> June 2011
>> Public Library Thread and Introductions
>> https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2011-June/thread.html
>>
>> July 2011
>> Public Library Thread continued + The Future of the Humanities  +
>> Hackademia as New Structural Transformation of the Public  Sphere
>> https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2011-July/thread.html
>>
>> August 2011
>> Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide + Are We Changing?
>> https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2011-August/thread.html
>>
>> September 2011
>> From Digital Natives to Digital Outcasts + Can DIY Education be Crowdsourced? + The Aims of Education
>> https://lists.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2011-September/thread.html
>>
>> (initiated and moderated by Trebor Scholz)
>>

>> best,
>> Trebor
>> =
>>
>> R. Trebor Scholz, PhD
>> Director of the conference series The Politics of Digital Culture
>> Chair, MobilityShifts
>> The New School
>> 65 West 11th Street, New York, NY 10011

>> Jennifer
>>
>> I am very sorry for not being in touch - classes just started at UCSD this week.
>>
>> yes of course I am participating.. I am finalizing the abstract and
>> will send it to you later today
>>

>> I was not aware that you are making travel arrangements for the
>> participants - so I already booked both flights and the hotel.
>> I am arriving Dec 12 and departing Dec 16.
>>
>> However, its very possible that you have a better rate in the hotel
>> you are working with - which one is it, and what is the rate?
>>

>> again, my apologies for not being in touch
>>
>> best
>>
>> lev
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Jennifer Conley Darling
>> <conleydj at newschool.edu> wrote:
>>> Dear Lev Manovich,
>>> I'm following up as we have not gotten a response from you regarding the
>>> confirmation of your date & time, nor a title and description of your talk.
>>> We also have not made any flight arrangements for you. I am currently
>>> holding a hotel room for three nights (Oct 13-16) in your name and will need
>>> to release these at the beginning of next week if you will not be joining
>>> us.
>>> Please let us know per the below email if you can accommodate the timing.
>>> I look forward to your response.
>>> Jennifer

>>> --
>>> Jennifer Conley Darling
>>> Conference Producer
>>> MobilityShifts: An International Future of Learning Summit

---

Dr. David M. Berry
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media

Department of Political and Cultural Studies
Swansea University
Singleton Campus
Swansea
SA2 8PP

Tel: 01792 602633

http://www.swan.ac.uk/staff/academic/ArtsHumanities/berryd/

Room: Room JC015, James Callaghan Building