[iDC] Local Interventions and Mobility Shifts

Jessica F. Lingel jlingel at eden.rutgers.edu
Sun Oct 9 21:23:53 UTC 2011

Hello Mobility Shifts and idc-ers,
I'm writing on behalf of my Mobility Shifts panel, consisting of David Gagnon, Nathan Graham, Germaine Halegoua and myself, Jessa Lingel.  Our panel is on Saturday (at 3pm) and deals with tools and technologies for DIY archives, activism and education.  We wanted to extend our shared interest in creating accessible tools for archiving interactions and conversations beyond our panel, so we created a YouTube based game intended to provoke discussion from the conference.
Our YouTube video explains the objective here (www.youtube.com/user/localinterventions) but we wanted to share on the idclist as well.  Each day of the conference, we will upload a question to our Local Interventions YouTube channel, as well as the Local Interventions website: http://www.digitalborn.org/archives/34.  Our first question is drawn from Henry Jenkins' idc post earlier today, which addresses questions of how educators can bring technology into the classroom when burdened by restrictive institutional policies on media, how libraries can offer students digital literacy without adequate staff or funding.  In short, our first question is largely a pragmatic one:
-What obstacles have you faced in your work as an educator, academic and/or activist in terms of media policies?  What has proven successful in overcoming these obstacles?
We invite you to treat each question as a challenge to interview other conference attendees (or people who are just interested in the conference topics) about the questions we post, take videos and upload those videos to the channel.  Our short term objective is to foster dialogue based on content that emerges from Mobility Shifts, but we also have the long term aim of creating a digital archive of the conversations that take place as a result of meetings, panels, sessions and Q&As. To upload videos, send them to this e-mail (4uhg08wkjvkp at m.youtube.com - we know it's not easy to remember, so just type it out once and add it to your smart phone address book.).  You can also use the Twitter hashtag: #localinterventions to send in questions and comments.
There will be a prize for the user who uploads the most videos, but really the motivation should be to contribute to a lasting digital artifact that documents Mobility Shifts as a site of interaction, discussion and play.
Let us know if you have questions, please join us in our online game, and see you at the conference!
Jessa

Jessa Lingel
PhD Candidate
School of Communication and Information