[iDC] Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics

Lev Manovich manovich.lev at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 18:34:23 UTC 2011

Greetings

I am Lev Manovich and my talk at the forthcoming conference will be
called  "Data Literacy and Cultural Analytics"

Here is what I plan to address:

The joint availability of numerous large data sets on the web and free
tools for data scraping, cleaning, analyzing and visualizing enable
potentially anybody to become a citizen data miner. But how do we
enable this in practice?

What are the necessary elements of “data literacy”?

How do we inspire students in traditionally non-quantiative fields
(art history, film and media studies, literary studies, etc.) to start
playing with big data?

One the limitations of the existing popular data analysis and
visualization tools is that they are designed to work with numbers and
texts – but not images and video. To close this gap, In 2007 we have
established Software Studies Initiative (softwarestudies.com) at
University of California, San Diego. The lab’s focus in on development
of new visualization methods particularly suited for media teaching
and research.

In my presentation I will show a sample of our projects including
visualization of art, film, animation, video games, magazines, comics,
manga, and graphic design. Our image sets range from 4535 covers of
Time magazine to 320,000 Flickr images from “Art Now” and “Graphic
Design” groups, and one million manga pages.

In September 2011 we released ImagePlot -  free software tool that
visualizes collections of images and video of any size. I will discuss
how we use ImagePlot in classes with both undergraduate and graduate
students to create collaborative projects which reveal unexpected
cultural trends and also make us question our existing concepts for
understanding visual culture and media. You can download software
here:

http://lab.softwarestudies.com/p/imageplot.html

best,

Lev

---------------------
Dr. Lev Manovich
Director, Software Studies Initiative, Calit2 <softwarestudies.com>
Professor, Visual Arts Department, UCSD <visarts.ucsd.edu>

email: manovich.lev at gmail.com
lab: softwarestudies.com
www.manovich.net
twitter.com/manovich
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668367315
youtube.com/user/softwarestudies

Mailing address:
University of California, San Diego,
Lev Manovich, Visual Arts Department,
9500 Gilman Drive. #0084, La Jolla, CA 92093-0084, U.S.A