[iDC] MobilityShifts introduction

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 20 09:10:43 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I am sorry I could not attend the big event on playbour two years ago
but this October I will be there!

Let me introduce myself. I am a Dutch-Australian media theorist,
activist and net critc. Since 2004 I working in Amsterdam at two
different institutions, the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
(HvA) where I am director of a small research unit called INC, the
Institute of Network Cultures (www.networkcultures.org) for three days
a week. The remaining two days I am at University of Amsterdam where I
teach in the new media (one year) masters program inside Mediastudies
which is part of the humanities faculty (also known for its Masters of
Media blog). This program has grown in the first five years of its
existence from 8 to 80 students. Since 2009 I am also professor in
media theory at the European Graduate School (www.egs.edu). My latest
book, Network Without a Cause, the fourth in a series of studies in
critical internet culture, will come out early 2012 with Polity Press
(I submitted the final manuscript late April).

During my lecture on Friday morning I will talk about the many
publishing initiatives that we have undertaken at INC. Taken into
consideration the drop in price of print, digital distribution and
storage, combined with the sublime stagnation inside academic
publishing, arcane and corrupt peer review rituals performed by
academic journals, we have a interesting starting position to do
experiments with hybrid forms of both free and monitized digital/
networked/paper publishing. Lately, the traditional publishing
industry finds itself in a period of rapid transition due to the rise
of e-readers, iPads, Kindles etc. How do artists and activists reponds
to this new situation? We all heavily depend on the dissimination of
our work and ideas. However, many of are still locked into publishing
deals that no longer work for us. We want our ideas to intervene into
the realtime politics of our age, not come one or two years later. The
same is the case for students who are confronted with expensive text
books, journal subscriptions and high book prices in general that no
longer reflect that technological state of the art. We all know what
happens in response to this anachronistic situation. Instead of only
complaining about the current stalemate, it could be go have multiple
conversation, before, during and aftr MobilityShifts on emerging
publishing strategies.

A few days ago I have sent Trebor the following outline of my talk:

Do-It-Together: Digital Publishing Experiments at the Institute of
Network Cultures
By Geert Lovink

Just as its enthusiasts say, the digital revolution has empowered
individuals to create and publish their own content through cheap,
easy-to-use tools and platforms. But there are a few complications. For
one, do-it-yourself quite often results in less than average outcomes
- we
aren't all born as multi-talented graphic designers, qualified
copy-editors and instant marketeers. So while the division of labour in
the context of free cooperation and accessible tools is certainly no
shame, neither are the professional standards that we should expect to
come with it. On top of this, the proliferation of new delivery
platforms
and authoring tools in a rapidly changing publishing environment makes
it
hard for individual authors and researchers to keep up. Finally, with
the
publishing industry going through its Napster phase (think AAAARG),
collaborative publishing and book sprints (see FLOSS Manuals) will soon
shift the industry's focus from copyright and licensing to crowd funding
and searchability.

To explore this perplexing landscape - and reacting to the often slow
and
conservative arena of academic publishing - the Amsterdam-based
Institute
of Network Cultures (INC) has developed a number of publishing series of
its own. This lecture gives an overview of INC's practice-based research
into different publishing strategies: free newspapers, open access
journal
software, a book series in collaboration with a traditional publisher
(NAi), digital typography experiments, print-on-demand offerings through
Lulu and the Expresso Book Machine and various reading platforms from
pdf
and HTML 5 to e-pub and Scribd. We see this initiative ultimately as a
political project: perhaps to confound older systems that are starting
crumble anyway, while in the meantime building alternative, sustainable
models for free cooperation and knowledge production.

Looking forward to interesting and productive exchanges!

Geert Lovink