[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sat Jul 16 15:37:17 UTC 2011

A key factor identified in Janet's post is the role of community. How
communities form is in itself a creative process and all those involved are
being creative, creating themselves and their relations. However,
communities are as complex as the human relations that form them and are
contingent on many factors beyond the individual, informed by (local)
history, cultural infrastructure and the cultural priorities that have
informed the community's focus over a period of time.

I am really lucky to live in Edinburgh but am originally from Adelaide. I've
lived and worked in a lot of places in between: cosmopolitan, like London or
Berlin, rural, provincial (Sheffield or Groningen). Every one of these
places is special in its own way but cities like Adelaide and Edinburgh are
quite particular. They are focal points of creativity out of scale with
their size. Much of this is down to their cultural infrastructure and
history. Both have large international arts festivals, major museums,
libraries and universities that are, again, out of scale to the their size.
They are both designed cities with civic space at their heart. This can be
replicated but it takes a long time and a lot of resources to achieve. There
is no cheap fix.

The question then is how virtual communities, like this list, form and why
some are more vital and sustainable than others. Again, this appears to be
no accident. Communities like iDC, empyre and Netbehaviour, for example,
have to be nurtured but at the same time allowed to become themselves. They
need people who care but do not want to control. There is a notion of
civility and creativity at their heart. In my experience this is rather
rare.

Best

Simon