[iDC] digital humanities

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:58:32 UTC 2011

> On 6 Jun 2011, at 08:09, Mark Marino <markcmarino at gmail.com> wrote:

> In an age where very reasonable folks are questioning the value of a college
> education, when the digital humanities seem to be flourishing, and when the
> US and global economies are still flagging sending students into their most
> pragmatic shells, I wonder if it isn't time for a new kind of humanities
> course.   I guess I am thinking about something different than what I know
> to be "digital humanities" in as much as that can mean the humanities plus
> computers (not to reduce -- I just don't mean that version of DH.)

Scientific collaboration faces the challenges related to control of
patents and copyright.
Speaking with a curator who worked with art/science incubator projects
one of the
problems they had was that as the projects progressed the participation became
mired in issues of ownership.

Howard Rheingold is working on a course
Toward a literacy of cooperation - How do we understand cooperation?
http://bit.ly/cooperationmap

It might be useful to work on this kind of structural shift as more of the
journals are being published openly so there is likely to be increased need for
participants to understand collaborative practice.

janet