[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Mireille Roddier mroddier at umich.edu
Tue Jul 12 10:12:46 UTC 2011

> In theory, the lower faculty ought to be the arena where you can speak
> truthfully without worrying about whether or not you are going to be
> employable in the professional fields represented by the other faculties.

Fascinating thread, and thank you Davin for bringing up this point.

Teaching in an architecture department from which an increasing number of our students graduate without the promise of employment, I have been questioning the content of my teaching in relation to the value of their degree: long term lessons versus immediate skill transmission? Contribution to public wellbeing or individual pursuits? Ideas and ideals or the means to realize those of others, unquestioned? (And I can only recommend ‘Not for Profit: Why Democracy needs the Humanities’, by Martha Nussbaum, in which she makes the point that “thirsty for national profit, nations, and their systems of education, are heedlessly discarding skills that are needed to keep democracies alive. If this trend continues, nations all over the world will soon be producing generations of useful machines, rather than complete citizens who can think for themselves”.)

I’m triggered to enter this conversation by your mention of Kant: I think Enlightenment values certainly have a place in this discussion.

It is difficult to deny that in our current classroom conditions, the desire “to have” knowledge—or “to appear to have” it in its post-modern version—greatly surpasses students’ satisfaction with simply “being”, defined here by an act of pure reflection. While a good number of our students voice their appreciation for the freedom and responsibility to interpret and transform the world, to learn/practice being engaged and critical, most students each year would clearly rather be handed predigested information—consumable data, prepaid. Thus are we served with the values of our time. Predictably, these are students who generally perform well in courses that involve the retention of facts, but suffer in design studios or in the courses that demand personal reflection—what Rousseau would call “the gift of invention”.

If and when, today, ‘critical thought’ is mentioned in our syllabi, it is often as an end in itself, a feature on a line-up, part of the latest collection on display, advertisement geared towards the most ambitious of our consumers of knowledge. Despite being made unpopular by the dead-end pessimism of the Frankfurt school, critical thought in the 18th century was never considered a mere end in itself but only the first and analytical step towards transformation and eventual reconstruction. Last summer, I read the most comprehensive and revolutionary essay on public instruction I’ve come across: Nicolas de Condorcet’s 'Cinq mémoires sur l’instruction publique' (1791) in which he specifically outlines the goals of public instruction and the benefits of a nation made up of a population able to think autonomously and apt with critical capacity. As he writes, “The goal of instruction, is not to make men admire a fully finalized legislation, but to render them capable of appraising and correcting it.”

Back then, the concept of social autonomy equated the enabling of a society through the sum of freethinking individuals. (This seems far from the pursuit of disciplinary autonomy found in today’s cultural practices, which privileges disciplinary preservation over individual emancipation.) It seems to me that the spirit of the Enlightenment fostered the practice of critical thought through exposure to a plurality of differing ideologies in order for an informed public will to emerge--a goal fundamentally lost, higher education no longer being conceived at the collective scale of forming “an informed public,” but rather at the individual scale of creating competent producers. (A loss that inevitably ensued the end of free education for all, at least in France.)

This is not to say that individual aspirations were neglected to a common good: awareness of and independence from the ideological apparatuses influencing public opinion was seen as instrumental in the pursuit of individual freedom, and it is precisely that prerequisite which would amount to a just society. The very aims of ‘public instruction’ were to cultivate a critical distance from the ideological forces at play. In order to do so, instruction HAD to exist in a space that avoided the presence of a single school of thought, or of partial media. As explicitly stated by Condorcet, the space of public education had to be free of ideology—a concept very similar to the idea of secular ethics mentioned earlier in this thread, endorsed by the Dalai Lama.

In Condorcet’s mind, the secularization of public instruction was intended to keep the private sphere of religion from influencing a desirably pluralistic public sphere, but religions weren’t the sole targets to be kept out of school grounds: the legal sphere of state control posed a greater threat to the public sphere of civic society. Condorcet had already foreseen the dangers of the cult of the state itself, and the risk of letting those in political power influence the content of public instruction. “Political religion,” as he called it, exposed education to a greater danger than private religions because the state could control the public realm...

What has happened to the intention to dedicate an ideologically neutralized zone to public instruction —a territory subtracted from the control of state power, enabling the preservation of individuals’ critical capacities? Today, the autonomy of a freethinking, emancipated public is an inconvenience to the ruling class, which actively controls the means of education.

Over two hundred years have past since the publication of Condorcet’s proposals for public instruction. All that was cautioned against has been incrementally instituted and, through the loss of public funding, education has been forced to operate in privatized form, largely financed by corporate sponsorship. In higher education, where the risks of forming a freethinking ruling class are extra-carefully managed, the conflicts of interest endangering the remnants of “independent” research are quickly dismissed to the lure of funding. If the intellectual elite of the country, the product of today’s public liberal arts education, has no qualms about receiving funds from not only national private businesses but also multinational corporations, foreign governments, or the US military, it seems unreasonable of me to decry the opportunities afforded by the sort of sponsored studios popular in architecture school, based on ideological grounds. Yet, is it reasonable to completely lose the ends of education? The bottom-line why we teach what we teach, whose interests are being served along the way, and whom it most services in the end? In my double role as a ‘teacher of architecture’, should I not foreground my role as “educator” as much as that of "architect", and consider the ethical function of education in teaching our youth at least as much as the ethical function of architecture in the formation of future professionals?

Apologies for the divergence off topic and slight turn into rant. Mark, Critical Theory for Civil Engineers sounds to me like it should be a required course.

Cheers,

Mireille

ps. also of note for this discussion, Marilyn Strathern's "A Community of Critics? Thoughts on new knowledge"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9655.2006.00287.x/full
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDCcAF0rQ4