[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 07:33:50 UTC 2011

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 5:35 AM, david mcconville <id at elumenati.com> wrote:
>
>> True innovators decline to remain locked in the STEM cell — as this month's
>> stories  show. They include craft brewers who are also into urban renewal;
>> geeks who are also into gardening; and a blacksmith who's designed a
>> high-tech permaculture greenhouse. These guys, who use science and art in a
>> whole systems context, are where the future lies.

I think that it is not really a science v humanities divide but an
education v commerce divide? Those aspects of science which are
thought to have probable profitable outcomes are those which are
proceeding? Business and economics courses are popular?

Education as enterprise business models are a part of that because
learning is closely connected to income both for the students and for
the institutions. The language and focus of this plan for technical
education in Australia is very much oriented around the business of
education rather than any social or technical priorities imho.
http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/PDFs_RTFs/SkillsProsperityRoadmap.pdf

This conversation with the Dalai Lama was interesting. He suggests
that we need a system of secular ethics, that it would help us to see
beyond specific perspectives, faiths, beyond ourselves and to think
and act with compassion. How could a secular ethics change the
economics of our time?
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2011/3249471.htm