[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Katie Cavanagh katie.cavanagh at flinders.edu.au
Sun Jul 10 08:55:16 UTC 2011

Greetings All,

I am a Humanities Lecturer who is in the lucky position of having Computer Science students put into my classes as a core part of their degree. So many students were coming 'across the lake' (our campus has a lake with Sciences on one side and Humanities on the other) that they decided to include my topics in the degree.  So I think I might have something to offer this discussion.

I lecture in the Creative Arts, that is, I have small groups of portfolio entry students (concept artists, programmers, video editors, games creators, graphic designers. film makers) who I create topics for. Into these topics stream Media students, Creative Writing, Film and IT students. A few years ago I worked out that I have a pipeline in my topics. We can make XBox games, animated films, graphic novels... Instead of lecturing from a textbook we work at project management, narrative, studying the role of the hero, usability, interfaces, games theory. Together the students are capable of creating extraordinary objects. First year is gaining core skills, second year is working on projects and finding their niche, third year is major individual projects. Students work together across all three years. It's the only way to share the breadth of knowledge - and their generosity with their knowledge is inspiring.

The IT students love the topics as 'in the real world'  IT is often a part of a larger pipeline - the programming interfaces at some stage. Put students in a room with concept artists and people discussing medieval archetypes and students on the whole embrace the opportunity to work in a group and to work on major unique projects that matter to them.

Computer Science is full of creatives who are fascinated with story, activity, grou-pwork and making things. Humanities is filled with excellent communicators who understand story, analysis and communication. The students respect each others roles in the pipelines, and sometimes the programmers want to research story or create the textures or graphics. Sometimes the Humanities students are surprisingly good programmers. Students don't see a insurmountable divide between the degrees, the Universities have manufactured this 'us' and 'them' mentality.

To me, Humanities is where everything comes together. We have flexibility, we embrace creativity, we encourage experimentation, we have codes (behaviour, words, but we have rules that can translate into code), it's a natural fit. What's odd to me is that it does not happen more.

We shouldn't have to defend the Humanities, we're a part of a larger pipeline.  University is a space to learn, to find your place in the world, to work on projects, to be challenged and expanded intellectually. The pipeline model seems to work, they make amazing things, students who would never normally meet learn to respect and work with one another and they see the value of working across disciplines.

Of course, I'm exhausted all the time. But how I love my work.

Regards,
Katie

Katie Cavanagh
Coordinator, BCA Digital Media