[iDC] my introduction

Mimi Ito mito at hri.uci.edu
Mon Jul 4 02:43:08 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I was invited to introduce myself to this list by sending along my bio as I will be speaking at the event in October. Look forward to engaging with all of you!

Best,
Mimi

Mimi Ito is a cultural anthropologist of technology use, and is Professor in Residence, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Chair in Digital Media and Learning, and the Research Director of the Digital Media and Learning Hub at the University of California, Irvine. She led a three-year collaborative ethnographic study, funded by the MacArthur Foundation, examining youth new media practices in the US, and focusing on gaming, digital media production, and Internet use. The findings of this project are reported in Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Youth Living and Learning with New Media. She is currently engaged in new research examining civic and learning outcomes of new media participation. Her other books include Engineering Play: A Cultural History of Children's Software, Personal, Portable, Pedestrian: Mobile Phones in Japanese Life, and a forthcoming book Fandom Unbound: Otaku Culture in a Connected World. http://www.itofisher.com/mito.