[iDC] The Twitter Revolution Must Die

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Sun Jan 30 21:38:07 UTC 2011

thankyou for this!

I've been quietly fuming over the "is it a facebook or a twitter revolution"
question!

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Ulises Mejias <ulises.mejias at oswego.edu>wrote:

> [for citation hyperlinks and images, go to
> http://blog.ulisesmejias.com/2011/01/30/the-twitter-revolution-must-die/]
>

> THE TWITTER REVOLUTION MUST DIE
>
> Have you ever heard of the Leica Revolution? No?
>
> That’s probably because folks who don’t know anything about “branding”
> insist on calling it the
> Mexican Revolution. An estimated two million people died in the long
> struggle (1910-1920) to
> overthrow a despotic government and bring about reform. But why
> shouldn’t we re-name the
> revolution not after a nation or its people, but after the “social
> media” that had such a great
> impact in making the struggle known all over the world: the
> photographic camera? Even
> better, let’s name the revolution not after the medium itself, but
> after the manufacturer of the
> cameras that were carried by people like Hugo Brehme to document the
> atrocities of war. Viva
> Leica, cabrones!
>
> My sarcasm is, of course, a thinly veiled attempt to point out how
> absurd it is to refer to events
> in Iran, Tunisia, Egypt and elsewhere as the Twitter Revolution, the
> Facebook Revolution, and
> so on. What we call things, the names we use to identify them, has
> incredible symbolic power,
> and I, for one, refuse to associate corporate brands with struggles
> for human dignity. I agree
> with Jillian York when she says:
>
> “… I am glad that Tunisians were able to utilize social media to bring
> attention to their plight.
> But I will not dishonor the memory of Mohamed Bouazizi–or the 65
> others that died on the
> streets for their cause–by dubbing this anything but a human revolution.”
>
> Granted, as Joss Hands points out, there appears to be more skepticism
> than support for the
> idea that tools like YouTube, Twitter and Facebook are primarily
> responsible for igniting the
> uprisings in question. But that hasn’t stopped the internet
> intelligentsia from engaging in
> lengthy arguments about the role that technology is playing in these
> historic developments.
> One camp, comprised of people like Clay Shirky, seem to make
> allowances for what Cory
> Doctorow calls the “internet’s special power to connect and liberate.”
> On the other side,
> authors like Ethan Zuckerman, Malcolm Gladwell and Evgeny Morozov have
> proposed that
> while digital media can play a role in organizing social movements, it
> cannot be counted on to
> build lasting alliances, or even protect net activists once
> authorities start using the same tools
> to crack down on dissent.
>
> Both sides are, perhaps, engaging in a bit of technological
> determinism–one by embellishing
> the agency of technology, the other by diminishing it. The truth, as
> always, is somewhere in
> [...]

Radhika Gajjala
Director, American Culture Studies
Professor of Communication Studies and Cultural Studies
101 East Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH  43403

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~radhik <http://personal.bgsu.edu/%7Eradhik>

"I am not young enough to know everything."
 Oscar Wilde<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/oscarwilde103675.html>