[iDC] Steve Wilson 1/10/11

Christiane Robbins cpr at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 12 22:23:22 UTC 2011

I can't tell you how deeply saddened I am to hear of Steve's passing.
Often not fully acknowledged, he was early force behind the
advancement of digital media and various conceptual and art practices
in the SF Bay Area. Not only had he been a colleague, he was a friend
- full of energy, high spirits and always moving forward.  He (and
George ) offered me my first university faculty position in the
unheard of program area of digital media  - right out of graduate
school which set me on a path that always gave reason for a chuckle.

Many of us in the digital realm who were orbiting around the Bay Area
in the 90's might not be practicing today had it not been for the
consistency of his encouragement.  To be sure, this hovered above the
Sisyphean obstacles placed before him by the mechanisms of the public
university. That is to say, the persistent  budget cuts by public
university funding that continually plagued his tenure at SFSU.  To
say he did his best would be an understatement - and he did so not
only for the betterment of his own program but he did so to ensure the
evolution of the field.  The digital media world is in debt to his
vision, to his energy,  to his good-humored tenacity and to fostering
a committed community of artists and intellectuals.

Chris