[iDC] The Twitter Revolution Must Die

Ayhan Aytes ayhana at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:24:18 UTC 2011

wikileaks anyone?

I agree with Ulises on his critique of branding social movements with
corporate social media apps. But I think we are still missing the point as
we solely focus on the validity of the utilitarian function of the social
media as an organization tool. I think we also need to consider the role of
social media in revealing the level of corruption of these oppressive
regimes. Wikileaks cables on Tunisia and Egypt not only made the secret
dealings of these autocracies public but brought that information into a
larger global arena and intensified its effect. What made the Tunisian
protests spread to Egypt? Is it a mere geographic and cultural proximity?  I
think mostly because leaks also showed how these corrupt regimes cohabit and
nurture very similar systems of oppression in order to protect their
interests. So, can we really disregard the influence of wikileaks
as social media? I think that would be throwing out the baby with the bath
water.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Sameer Shehata, an Assistant
Professor of Politics in Georgetown:
http://www.therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6120

"SAMER SHEHATA: The things that have jumped out at me, of course, have
related to cables coming out of Cairo, and - as well as cables coming out of
Tunis, also, as a result of what's been going on in Tunisia these days. So
with regards to Tunis, for example, Tunisia, it is striking to me the
knowledge that the Americans had of the extent, the depth of corruption in
Tunisia. The cables are very specific. The American ambassador, for example,
is invited to Ben Ali's son-in-law's house for dinner, and he describes the
opulence, the luxury. He has a tiger or a lion in a cage that he shows his
visitors and so on. "
Ayhan Aytes

Ph.D. Candidate
Communication and Cognitive Science