[iDC] On Silence / Off Silence

Margaret Morse morse at ucsc.edu
Sat Nov 20 01:14:55 UTC 2010

Dear Anne,
Thanks for your post and welcome to daylight! I too was flamed under
rather bizarre circumstances many years ago and it made me leery of
posting as well.   I agree that successfully working collaboratively
requires exchanges between peers /full subjects--and that entails
going beyond traditional gender roles in discourse.  I post, but not
often, waiting until I have an investment in the topic or some
expertise or at least a question.  I often admire the expertise and
experience of others and benefit from reading without posting.  I
don't feel guilty about lurking unless I have something to say and
don't say it.  I can count on IDC for civil exchange from many
different points of view that develop over time.  There could be more
women involved, of course, so please tell us more about your ideas on
collaboration or at least give us a url.

All the best,

Maggie Morse
University of California Santa Cruz